Ginzuishou

Sick Betta - Sudden

Tank Specs:
10 Gallon
Heated
Live Plants
Cycled
Ammonia .25

A few days ago I noticed white pimples (raised) on one of my neon tetras. He acted fine and was eating. The pimples then disappeared and reappeared on different areas of the tetra.

A day later my betta would not move at all and laid on the ground, coming up occasionally for air. Now, he lays right at the surface and does not move or eat. I noticed very tiny white worms crawling over him.

I am currently treating him with Super Ick Cure to see if that helps.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know, thank you.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 
lelei

Oh no, that is Parasites, you need to get him into a Epsom salt treatment..asap..and do it in a QT like a gallon Kritter keeper 1 tsp per gallon of water
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 
Ginzuishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Oh no, that is Parasites, you need to get him into a Epsom salt treatment..asap..and do it in a QT like a gallon Kritter keeper 1 tsp per gallon of water

So the ICK treatment won't help at all? I'll look into the Epsom salt thing. thank you
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #4 
lelei

Take him out of the 10 gal, if you haven't already, and do the epsom treatment, and keep him away from other fish., usually a 3-5 day salt treatment is good, try this first, before the Ich treatment..
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 
lelei

Yea, if you see worms, its parasites, and epsom is best..Try that..and keep us updated..Hope he gets better, good luck:)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #6 
SpookyTooth

If the worms are on the outside would aquarium salt not be better? I know epsom works well for internal parasites but it sounds like they're outside - unless they are coming from the fish's bottom in which case epsom is definately the way to go.

Have you seen the fish use the toilet, Ginzuishou? If it is white and stringy then it is definately an internal parasite problem and epsom salt is your best bet! I hope he makes a full recovery!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #7 
lelei

If you see ones coming out from the gills, they are coming from inside, and now probably are comin out and crawling around on the fish..:( I read if they are out on the fish, they usually come out from inside..uggh
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #8 
Ginzuishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
If the worms are on the outside would aquarium salt not be better? I know epsom works well for internal parasites but it sounds like they're outside - unless they are coming from the fish's bottom in which case epsom is definately the way to go.

Have you seen the fish use the toilet, Ginzuishou? If it is white and stringy then it is definately an internal parasite problem and epsom salt is your best bet! I hope he makes a full recovery!

I haven't noticed any white and stringy feces. I did put salt into the tank, but noticed no change in 24 hours. I did a water change and then added the ICK treatment. I could finish the ick treatment and then move on to parasite treatment.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
I read if they are out on the fish, they usually come out from inside..uggh
Ahh. I'm not very well versed on fish diseases so I thank you for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzuishou View Post
I haven't noticed any white and stringy feces. I did put salt into the tank, but noticed no change in 24 hours. I did a water change and then added the ICK treatment. I could finish the ick treatment and then move on to parasite treatment.
Is your betta currently in a hospital tank? I know Lelei mentioned this. If at all possible a 1 or 2 gallon container would be ideal for monitoring him, keep it bare bottom and feel free to add a few small plants so he doesn't feel too exposed. It'll also be easier to treat, though it'll require daily 100% water changes.

Ick in itself I believe is a parasite, so it may be worth using the parasite treatment instead. I don't know how safe it is to move straight from one medication to another -- I'm hoping someone with more experience than myself can help you with that.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #10 
lelei

Did you notice a little white spot on the fish, or just the worms themselves, Ich usually starts with the "White spots" first, then use Ich treatment, but if worms are already appearing, it could be internal parasites, I would still use Epsom for the first 3days, and not use the Ick treatment for now..