Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #1 
Eveh

Cut Strait Tail?

This morning I woke up to find my betta's tail "cut straight". Before Oddie's tail was like this http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...loud14/009.jpg . Now the Now its down to the like the middle space in his tail!!! And it looks straight! I also found like a soaked pellet on his bridge. I'm afraid he has fin rot! I don't know what to do?
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #2 
Kenny G

Can you please post a pic of the cut fin when you get a moment. If there is no discoloration in the fins I don't believe its fin rot. If its cut straight it sounds like a tear in his fins. You can try adding products that help heal and aid in regrowth. Always keep up on water changes to make sure he doesn't get infections. Check your tank for sharp objects. Usually these are the reason for torn fins. Do the nylon test before putting any objects in your tank. If it pulls or tears don't use it. I always check all decorations carefully. You would be surprised how many times I have found sharp points and jagged edges on items sold in pet stores.

Last edited by Kenny G; 07-22-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #3 
Laki

Classic fin nomming.
VT's and other heavier finned tail types commonly chew the ends off. It could be from boredom, stress, or them feeling burdened.
My VT Ludendorff initially bit his tail because I blocked his view out to me with snails. Ever since then he'll let it grow back (you know because it's clear regrowth) and when it's getting it's color back he'll chew it all off again. T-T
Nothing to worry about as long as you try to find out what caused it. My old VT Lakitu went neurotic because of the air bubbler in his tank. Some HM's chew because the current in the water is too strong. The heavier the tail, the worse they can swim.
Fin rot. No. Fin rot comes over a long period of time in dirty water. A couple of pellets wouldn't give it to him overnight. So, breathe. Remove them and do a water change. Keep his water clean until his tail grows back. This will prevent fin rot. There's NO need for aquarium salt or bettafix or anything. Just clean water.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 
Eveh

Ok so like now the tail is like it used to be but shorter lol
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 
Laki

good :) As long as the regrowth keeps coming back clear and not black or red you're good xD
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #6 
ChardFish

An interesting note, if you are planning to breed, there is some conjecture on whether or not the tail-biting is based on genetic factors. Personally, I think perhaps the neurosis, or propensity for anxiety, are what is genetically linked. However, there is a movement to not breed animals displaying this trait, to avoid the behavior as much as possible in the future. None of mine seem to do this. Blind luck, probably, though. I do nothing special except ignore everything about never doing 100% water changes (I do 100% changes every other day with the small jars, and 2x week with all others), and I leave out all decorations from my tanks except live java ferns and bamboo. Even my sorority double-boiler isnt planted; but thats just my OCD, not wanting to see gravel/poop, or even cloudiness in their water. The double-boiler system is a heated 10 gal w/2 one-gallon tanks inside for temp management- I have one as a hospital and the other is where all the spawning happens. 3 CT females (Sassy Lashes, Hot Lips, and Sha-dynasty) patrol outside the globes, and Huggy Bear, my silver HMPK is in the hospital globe w/ ick (or a tumor, but we hope its ick... not responding to treatment though). I have 2 week fry in the other.)

Last edited by ChardFish; 07-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #7 
goldfishyman

I think the reflection of the glass makes them think there is another betta in the tank. The long tail can touch their own body and they react and nip at it thinking they are being attacked. They register pain from the bite and go ape **** on it thinking they are in a real battle.

I'm using plastic tanks so I'm thinking of sanding down the sides that i don't look through to make it hazy so there is no reflections.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #8 
ChardFish

that seems more likely than a genetic component, unless the component isn't anxiety, but too much finnage. :( Poor little neurotic fishes!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 
Laki

And if it is genetics, there is little we can do since the majority of the market is from mills supplying pet stores. Who knows what the background of those fish are.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 
ChardFish

I know it! :( I think probably the other assessment has a lot to do with it too. Think, all trends seem to be towards larger fins, and many, many, TOO many, people keep bettas in small tanks; thus those large fins will be seen and bumped into more often, playing on the natural instinct to strike at other fish. As time is spend fighting his tail, neurosis develops, and the behavior becomes more and more intense. (Hah, now thats a behavior/genetics/environment analysis my Animal Behavior teacher would be proud of). I think perhaps we are all on to something. Larger finned-fish might require more space than shorter finned fish. Perhaps 2 gallons/ inch of fish, esp in those with history of fin biting? Just a thought, late at night...and I am surely not the first one to put this forward.... Good night, folks!