Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #11 
Atena

I don't mean to be contradictory, just offering my own experience here. I have that exact tank for my betta Guppy and I have a small Tom filter that I modified. I had it without a filter and must say life is much better with than without.

I baffled it with extra foam on the outside and in the outflow. The extra foam provided enough surface area that my tank cycled, all by itself. I also added live plants which also help a great deal with water quality. Now I only have to do water changes every other week instead of twice a week.

Last edited by Atena; 07-31-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #12 
Atena

Make sure you wash everything in hot water before you put it in your tank. Rinse the gravel as well before you add it.

If you get live plants, quarantine them (i use plastic water bottles with the top cut off for this) outside of your tank for at least a week, preferably two, to prevent diseases. I learned this one the hard way when I accidentally gave my fish Ick with a new plant.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote