Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 
RainbowSocks

Plant Hitchhikers

I'm interested to see if anyone else has had any happy little extras in their plant purchases?

I've only had my betta for a month, and I've already had several surprise additions to my tank. Like the java moss pieces that came with my java fern, what I'm pretty sure is a piece of anacharis that came with my duckweed (woot!), and snails in my java moss (purchased after I fell in love with my two little strands lol).
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 
staffylover

Despite me soaking and cleaning my plants I have had one or two snails in the last couple of months. As soon as I see them I catch them and dispose of them
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

I've gotten some java moss in with most of my tubed java fern, an extra java fern (loose plants, paid for two but got three), and a baby anubias in with that same java fern. It was quite a surprise! :D I've never gotten my java moss to grow, half of it died, and the rest of it isn't doing anything. Ah well.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #4 
Shadyr

I had some volunteer small snails ride in on something and are now hanging out in my plant quarantine bowl, aka the Salad Bowl. What is a humane way of disposing of them? I let them hang around because my kids love to watch them, but they kinda nullify the whole point of quarantining my plants, and I've already had to fish a few out of the bookshelf tank. Plus I think they are working on making more snails.

I bought a anubias tied to a rock last week, and by the time I got the 10 yards of fishing line off it, I was pleased to discover I had 3 anubias. I got a new rock for one of them. It will be tied on with ONE string. The other may just get tossed in something to float about, as I understand they don't mind the nomadic life.

In the most traumatic episode, I had nematodes ride in on something, and made it into Chicory's tank. One ended up getting on him The end of that monthlong fight was brought about by my new favorite product, Coppersafe.

I love the live plants in the tank - they make them look so nice and they are better for the fish, it's just kinda annoying that they can also bring in things ranging from annoying to unsafe!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 
RainbowSocks

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose plants had friends! Though that's the scary part--will you have just extra moss, snails, or diseases? D: Edit: I'd love to pick up an extra anubias some day! :P I like the "Salad Bowl" quip. lol

I imagine you could let snails loose outside in a pond/lake and they'd be okay? O.o I've also read that leaving a piece of zucchini or cucumber in there overnight will attract the snails, and then you can put that, snails and all, in the freezer to kill them...

There's a bajillion dwarf pond snails in my java moss, so I've got it in an extra 0.75 gal. kritter keeper I had lying around. I also have some algae wafers from when I had shrimp--so I may just have a snail tank now. lol

The only reason I quarantined my plants was because I was worried about ickies from the fish they were kept with--I'm glad I did, because then I spotted the snails (most of which are less than 12 days old).

Last edited by RainbowSocks; 07-30-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's why I hesitate getting plants. I don't want snails and other nasty things in my tanks. What can be done to prevent it? Rainbowsocks, I don't mean to hijack your thread.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #7 
RainbowSocks

Depending on the plant, you could treat with a mild salt or bleach solution to kill the snails. Some plants can tolerate salt or bleach, and others can't. You can also do a long quarantine (like 3 weeks-ish... I just found more snails in some duckweed I neglected to put in my tank from two weeks ago). Right now my snails are laying even more eggs in their wee tank. And boy do they poop a lot! :O

Even if you buy plants from "snail free" tanks, depending on who you're buying from, you may still end up with snails they didn't know about.

You can also resign yourself to having a small population of snails in your tank, and take measures to control that population. I've also heard of "assassin snails" that eat other snails? I've not really read up on those...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #8 
PixelatedPaint

I always make sure I get MTS in my tanks. Nice little cleaners. They really aren't pests, so long as you change the water often enough and refrain from over feeding. I've had to go get some from time to time because they die off from the tanks being too clean and having nothing to eat. Great for sand substrate aquascaped tanks as they also aerate the sand. I use my MTS as alarms as well. If there is any water issue they usually climb to the top of the tank.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #9 
babystarz

My planted tank has two tiny snails :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #10 
PixelatedPaint

I love them, so cute too right?
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote