Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
Atena

Dwarf Hairgrass & Ferteliser question

I had run into some dwarf hairgrass at the petsmart and it looks like it would be a nice ground cover for my little fish tank.

I did not see it in the plant guide so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this plant?

I am wondering if it a good one for a small tank and will be okay in slightly elevated ph?

My tank stays at ph elves of 7.4 with almond leaf treatment, 8.6 without it.

What is good way to guarantee the plant before introducing it to the tank?

I already have java ferns that seem to be doing well.

Is there a fertilizer that anyone prefers to use with their Bettas?

Do I need to use a fertilizer with my Java fern, I am pretty sure the grass would need it.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #2 
Aus

A drop or two of plain Flourish (not Excel) in a small tank every few days would be enough - I don't know how big yours is? But java fern lives just fine on fish poo alone in my 3.5 gallon, which has lots of plants in plain black gravel and is never fertilised - the only plant to suffer is wisteria.. after about 4 months, it gets an iron deficiency. Otherwise, the low light plants seem not to need tons of fertiliser.

Hairgrass is growing like mad in my lowlight tanks but seems to be doing better in the brighter spots. As long as your light will support plant growth (6500K or thereabouts) it should do okay. My ph is about 7.6, and it's good in that.

Rinsing your plants in conditioned water a bit should be okay. If you're really worried about algae and snails, you could rinse under tap water a bit.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #3 
millefiore

Not to hijack your thread, Atena, but Aus, just to clarify, for the tanks you have with the hairgrass, are you using only gravel as the substrate or do you have a layer of soil it?

(Thinking of setting up a planted tank.)
millefiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
Sundancex

Aus, I'm really interested in what you have to say about hairgrass and dwarf hairgrass. Over on plantedtank.net, everyone seems to recommend CO2, Excel, root tabs, enriched substrate, and high light for EVERYTHING...including java fern. I'm about to start a planted tank and what they had to say basically convinced me anything I put in my tank will die.

Could you give me the specifics of your tank that is growing hairgrass? I have an EBI and I'm doing 2 fluval 13 watt flouresent bulbs, fluval shrimp stratum, and plan to dose with root tabs and flourish.

Sorry to hijack...
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #5 
Sowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancex View Post
Aus, I'm really interested in what you have to say about hairgrass and dwarf hairgrass. Over on plantedtank.net, everyone seems to recommend CO2, Excel, root tabs, enriched substrate, and high light for EVERYTHING...including java fern. I'm about to start a planted tank and what they had to say basically convinced me anything I put in my tank will die.

Could you give me the specifics of your tank that is growing hairgrass? I have an EBI and I'm doing 2 fluval 13 watt flouresent bulbs, fluval shrimp stratum, and plan to dose with root tabs and flourish.

Sorry to hijack...
I would be interested in this info as well. I just started a 5g planted.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

To get a really lush and fast-growing carpet, you ideally need a nutrient rich substrate and to have a consistent source of carbon (excel is fine in a small tank).

I have had hairgrass send off shoots and grow in just plain gravel, but it wasn't until I put mine into a tank with ADA aqua soil that it really took off. Mine also grew exceptionally fast when I grew it emersed which is what I think the DSM works on.

Forgot to add it's best to plant hairgrass in as small a clumps as possible. This will encourage it to spread a lot faster.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #7 
Sundancex

Does anyone know if it is safe to dose excel with java moss in the tank? Or is it likely to kill the moss?
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #8 
Atena

It is a a 2.5 gallon tank, I have gravel and glass pebbles, in it. I was not planning for anything else.

I have two strips of 6500k UV LED lights on each end of the tank, I had them for each of the ferns, then I have lower power white light that is not a plant light in the rest of the tank. I will try to get a picture tomorrow of how they are laid out in the tank.

The filter has carbon in it... not sure if this is what you mean by a consistent source of carbon.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have been away from my computer all day.

Last edited by Atena; 07-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #9 
Aus

+1 ^ What Littlebettafish said.

I have mine in a dirt tank, so that's probably providing all the nutrient it needs right now. It's grown in clumps, too, as I don't really want it to spread fast, lol (though it's doing so anyway..). The dirt tank's too crowded with plants for a 'lawn' but I am thinking of replanting to the 3ft as one under some taller bog reeds.

Co2 is a carbon supplement, not the same as filter carbon. There's a whole science around that, not really my cup of tea as I am focussing on low-tech. Easy way is just what LBF said, dose with Flourish Excel from a bottle, which has liquid carbon in it.

My way of doing things is a bit slap-dash right now. Stick it in the tank, see if it grows..

In my smaller tank, which sounds pretty much like yours, Atena, I have LED lights too and only low-tech low light plants, java moss, java fern on mopani wood (get shrimps if you use mopani, it molds up fast, or use malaysian wood which doesn't as much), susswassertang.. a few small crypts and anubias, a little wisteria which does much better floating than planted. No room for hairgrass, but the little bit I grew in there was healthy, just not growing particularly quickly, not enough for a lush hi-tech lawn look, anyway.

So yeah, you may have to use Excel for that lawn.

Millifiore and Sowman, I'd be happy to chat about planted tanks over in my journal so's not to derial the OP's thread.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=92906&page=22

In which you can see a bit of hairgrass my wild bettas pulled up when flailing around in it, lol.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 
Atena

Since this is my first tank ever I do want to keep it simple. But with a plant that costs less than $10 I can afford to take a risk. I just think it would look nice growing on the "banks" of my blue glass river over which I have rock bridge that Guppy likes to swim under.

I do not want any tank buddies as he tends to be super territorial and I do not need more lives to be responsible for. LOL

I will also look into a taller grass to put in the corner where the heater is to cover it. I do not want floating plants as the tank is so mall already I don't want to cut off access to air, and plants at the top will baffle the light.

I have one question about the grass, how do I "plant" it in the tank. My java fern I tied with thread to rocks to keep if from floating away. Obviously, the grass is too small to do what with. Is it going to naturally stay at the bottom or do I need to do something to make it do so?