Whisper is one of the better filter brands in my opinion because it allows you SOME control over the water flow. AquaClear is definitely better though for water flow control.
When I first started to cycle the 10 gallon with NO fish. I slapped on.....
- Whisper 10 (Currently active)
- Whisper 20 (Currently active)
- Top Fin 10 (Think the impeller was wrong so it never filled up with water)
- Tetra ReptoFilter (was caked with algae on the sides, didn't like it.)
- Red Sea Nano Filter (small very cute, still running)
This was the first time I used any of those filters.
So far I do like Whisper models, but I'm not crazy about the media cartridge setup.
I haven't decided which Whisper filter will remain in the tank though.
Which model Whisper do you have?
- No, don't use salt.
- Yes, condition the water ONLY.
- Add a heater turn it up to high 80's, maybe 90's. I did 90's.
- Leave lights off.
- Don't change the water at ALL.
Don't fill the tank all the way. Leave 5 gallons of water OUT.
- Slowly fill the tank with the dirty water from your other fish tanks over the next couple days.
Feel free to correct me.