Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #21 
Unity

The filter that I have for the 20gallon is a BIO-Wheel. I am strongly considering buying a Whisper today as I use them in my other two tanks and am a big fan as well.

So no AQ salt? Even when I add the Betta? And no prime just (in my case) API Stress Coat?

Everything else makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot for your help.
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #22 
MSG

Using model numbers would be helpful. Each brand usually has different models for different size tanks.

I have a BioWheel Emperor 400, but mine has a flow control lever that allows you to control the degree of filtration. That little control lever is located in the top of the filter. The newer biowheels sort of force you to stick your hand into the water to adjust the flow.

When I feed my fish, I'm usually holding a plate of food in the other.

Here's what my BioWheel 400 looks like. I'm going to read this link again later today..
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...r_tricks_v.php

Also if you're in the market for a filter. There's just too many options. Research them so you don't buy one impulsively.

I dislike it when I enter a store and the employees try to push a crappy cheap model on me. I would rather spend an extra $5-$10 more for a nicer model with EXTRA convenience features.

• Fluval HOB Filters (Look cool, but don't know much about them.)
  • Marina Slim Power Filters (Look cool, but don't know much about them.)
  • Aqueon (Don't like them)
  • Top Fin (Don't like them)
  • Tetra Whisper (Decent filter, allows for SOME basic flow control)
  • Tetra Whisper EX (Newer design, but I don't like them, prefer the old version)
  • Aquaclear (Good but very OLD design)
  • BioWheels (Rotating wheel makes them cool, but I don't like the ones without a flow control adjustment.
I'm interested in the Fluval & Marina style, because they're NEWER.

Last edited by MSG; 07-31-2012 at 10:52 AM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #23 
MSG

I haven't used my bottle of stress coat in over a year. I'm going to start using it again today because my betta has severe damage & I want to aid in her recovery as soon as possible.

Same with the salt. I've never really used kosher salt for aquariums till the past couple days. Also I only use it for 2-3 days so far.

It's really not necessary unless your fish are badly INJURED or sick.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #24 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thank for the info on filters MSG. Please keep us informed as you learn more. I'm very interested.

That Marina Slim is interesting to me because the motor is submerged, therefore quiet. My favorite filters are the nearly silent Hagen Mini Elite internals. They just need added filter foam to enhance their biological filtration/bacteria area.

I like your advice on fishless cycling. You've obviously been there and done it. But I think Unity is going to transfer media and do a fish-in cycle. I usually don't like a fish in cycle except when you have sufficient seeded media. Then it's practically cycled as soon as you fire up the filter.

I like Prime. I only use my Stresscoat for injuries and skin conditions. Most members only recommend salt for treatment, not for daily use.

Mahi, I didn't mean to step on your advice about fishfood. I used shrimp for my first cycle without too much of a problem, so It can work fine. But, since I learned about mold, I wouldn't recommend fishfood or shrimp.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #25 
MSG

The only reason I'm using all of them at once is because I've NEVER used most of them. From the beginning I've always used AquaClears, but I NEVER understood how to cycle filter till the past 2 months.

The Bio-Wheel was cycled by pure luck. That's probably the reason I've lost fish in the past was because of excessive filter cleaning every 2-3 months.

The 10 gallon sorority 5-6 day cycle was more of an experiment.

Worked GREAT.

The Marina slim looks cool, but I don't know about the amount of media it can hold.
The Hagen elite I've never seen in action so I don't have any comment on that.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #26 
Unity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
Thanks for the compliment. Wish I knew more!!

Of course the last thing in the world I would want to do is kill a Betta (ammonia burn, etc).

In your educated opinion, is it OK to use the Betta I plan on keeping in the tank during the cycle?

I know this question treads on inhumane grounds but does anyone have a strong opinion? I can always move a store bought Betta to another tank after the cycle but I am planning on buying a 'show quality' betta for the 20gal and would not want to kill him.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #27 
MSG

Totally up to you. I could care less because at least you have a LARGER than normal tank.

I saw over 100 bettas yesterday @ the store and I know at least half are going to be end up being placed in tiny unheated bowls.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #28 
Unity

MSG - ever think of putting together a sticky on filter brands? I am sure others could help and it would be EXTREMELY helpful to beginners and intermediate fishkeepers alike.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

MSG, that would help. I already found my filter, though. But that means MSG has to get reviews on those filters and that'll take a long time. Moderators are the only ones that can make sticky happens.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #30 
Unity

Well maybe we can start a thread that lists the specs on common filters - then people can feel free to post reviews in the comments.

A general guide would have saved me a ton of money over the past couple months. Well $60 but that is still a lot of money!!!