Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #31 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
I know this question treads on inhumane grounds but does anyone have a strong opinion? I can always move a store bought Betta to another tank after the cycle but I am planning on buying a 'show quality' betta for the 20gal and would not want to kill him.
Opinions vary, but I, personally, would never put livestock in a new tank and expect them to live in a weak ammonia solution until the tank cycles. Nor would I ever use "cycle-fish." I'm a major proponent of fishless and/or bucket cycles.

In your case, you'll have bacteria-seeded media from a cycled tank. I'm sure a Betta, clean fish that they are, would never cause a minicycle in a 20g. Monitor parameters. <repeat>

And, proving I can hold two opinions at once, using a less precious fish for security and peace-of-mind doesn't offend me.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #32 
Unity

Hallyx - you have been a ton of help for me over this process.

If everything goes successfully, I will buy you a beer sometime :)
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #33 
MSG

I'm still new to forums in general. Also don't like to use forums because they leave records that remain out there on the web FOREVER.

In addition to that, I'm still having problems navigating around this site. Too many features, etc....

The only reason I would ever create a new a new thread is because certain topics are several years old and not sure if anything new has changed since then.

Also I'd much rather get the opinion of a person that's actually used a specific product, so they can vouch for the durability, features, pros/negatives & whatnot.

The new Fluval HOB filters intrigue me & I know of one active member in this forum who's currently using it for a 10G, but I doubt he/she understand how nice of a filter it is.

Usually I'm the type of person who likes to play with a item in the store before I buy it.

Most of the filters I like are usually over $25 with the exception of the RedSea/Azoo Nano Filter.

Whisper Power Filters & the Azoo Nano/Palm Filter are the ones I would recommend to beginners. DrFosters makes their own name brand filter with a surface skimmer but there's a lot of complaints about the motor being noisy. Which I think are true.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3643

• Filter 20 Compact, CD-12907, $14.99, $11.99
  • Filter 30 Model 1, CD-12908, $18.99, $13.79
  • Filter 40 Model 2, CD-12909, $19.99, $15.99
  • Filter 60 Model 3, CD-12910, $28.99, $23.19
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #34 
Unity

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Opinions vary, but I, personally, would never put livestock in a new tank and expect them to live in a weak ammonia solution until the tank cycles. Nor would I ever use "cycle-fish." I'm a major proponent of fishless and/or bucket cycles.

In your case, you'll have bacteria-seeded media from a cycled tank. I'm sure a Betta, clean fish that they are, would never cause a minicycle in a 20g. Monitor parameters. <repeat>

And, proving I can hold two opinions at once, using a less precious fish for security and peace-of-mind doesn't offend me.
Just FYI on the advice of a trusted LPS employee I put two leopard danios in the day before yesterday to speed the cycle. If they are hearty enough to handle the cycle then they and a couple friends will be fish I add to the stock of the 20 gallon when the time comes. So far the parameters are improving at an amazing rate. Cloudiness is starting to disappear already. I am very pleased.

On Tuesday my Betta shows up and the real test begins. I think I will have my parameters close to perfect by the point he arrives and truly can't believe how quick this cycle has gone thus far. Once I get him settled I will take a little break and not stock any new fish in this 20gal for a while.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #35 
Unity

To add to the filter discussion, I bought an Aquaclear 30 and was very disappointed. If anyone wants it I would be happy to offer for free or trade...

Am using the Penguin 150 Biowheel and much happier with it. Think I will eventually have to stuff a little sponge into the intake or figure out another way to decrease surface agitation but for now it is perfect. had plenty of room for the bag of media from my cycled 5gal too. Great stuff.