Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 
craiger75

Found snails in betta tank

So ... I finally got snails - not by choice however. I know they come from plants, which i find rather strange considering i haven't bought any new ones in awhile. I was really digging up the gravel today to do some replanting and put some laterite in - they didn't come from that did they? I do seem to recall seeing things before that I thought were plant spores so I chucked them, or dropped them back in the tank.

I'm not particularly interested in getting rid of them and I could really use the help with algae. So, my question is; what am I looking for to make sure they don't become a nuisance to my betta? I know they can cause disease, and one thing to watch out for is a spike in ammonia but other than that what else?
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
Mike

Courtesy bump since this was moved from somebody else's thread.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #3 
Aus

I have tons of baby snails in my 10 gallon NPT, all from plants.. no increase in ammonia, but then it's a heavily planted NPT so it's probably getting eaten. Anyway, the baby ramshorns are doing a brilliant job at cleaning up a bit of diatom growth on some crypt leaves, and the pond snails suck the algae off the glass. If you have a lot of plants that are actively growing, a few snails won't hurt. If the number gets insane you can always squish a few..

I know pond snails can be a part of some parasites' life cycles, but you'd have to be pretty darned unlucky (or maybe a duck..) to contract anything off of them, especially if they've hatched in your tank (eggs on leaves are hard to see, this is how most of mine arrived..).
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote