Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #1 
bettasloveme

.5 nano planted "tank"/bowl?

Don't worry, my betta fish will not go in there. (they are too happy in their tanks!, and are being taken care of by a family member)

I am going to go away to college soon, and I was thinking about keeping a .5 nano tank with live plants growing in it. I can refresh the plants every three months. I would also like suggestions on lighting I can use.

Sorry if this in the wrong area.
bettasloveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Why can't you take your betta tanks to college? Most dorms will allow at least a 5 gallon tank.

The tiny planted tank sounds like a great idea. I have one with black sand, white rocks, and a few marimo balls. Light isn't going to be your main problem; heating will be. Most of the plants we keep with our tropicals are also tropical. That small amount of water without a heater will get really cold, so you'll either need a heater or get plants that can take the low temps. That's why I chose the marimo as they come from waters that can get as low as 50F.

In my tank I use natural light as it's just too small for any 6500K bulb I have ever found. This might be something you'll have to determine when you get to your college. If you can use natural light that would probably be best. But you have to figure out a way to balance the light an nutrients so you don't get an algae bloom.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 
Aus

I have a little .5 gallon NPT with some bacopa, a very small crypt, dwarf baby tears and a few other tiny bits and pieces from my bigger tanks. It's been going a couple of months now with only occasional top-ups and natural light - it's winter here, and it gets really cold (my house is ancient and drafty, too..), so I'm supposing this is why there's not been a massive algae outbreak and the growth has been a bit slow. But yeah, all the plants are alive and doing okay.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 
bettasloveme

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I am going to be a pre-med student so I figured a .5 gallon planted tank would be better for me then a betta. Plus I would have to carry the betta home through a seven hour trip...not fun. D:
bettasloveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 
Aus

Aokashi has made some truly lovely mini-tanks, it's worthwhile searching her posts for pics. I hope to see pics of yours, once it's set up. :)

Oh, I forgot to add - you can get little LED aquarium lamps that clamp on to the side of a tank.. I've used these clamped to a small box filled with stones to prevent it tipping over beside a tank, where the light didn't fit on the side or I didn't want a 'huge' clamp (on a microtank) spoiling the view. But yeah, these little LEDs are great for plant growth, I use the Dymax brand but there's better ones out there - Dymax needs replacing after a year as they get very dim.

Last edited by Aus; 07-31-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 
mattoboy

Im thinking about making one too
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #7 
Aus

We'll need a planted micro-tank thread! (one rule: NO FISH.. )

I'm feeling very inspired to work on mine tomorrow.. it could do with a little trimming/replanting/additions...
Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #8 
mattoboy

I might even set one up today :O just need to find some stuff to throw in
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #9 
SpookyTooth

My original intentions with regards to planted tanks was to have one set up on my desk as I needed a new desk lamp, I wanted to make full use out of it so thought a small planted tank or something would be a really nice addition and would give me something to focus on and adapt as my lifestyle and medical situation changed.

That idea evolved into the 14 gal planted tank at the end of my bed that I continually want to rescape...

There is a moral to this story somewhere... it all starts with a .5 gal bowl.

As for my desk lamp... I did get one in the end; it's an exo terra terrarium that I planted that houses some sun beetles. It does a darned good job of keeping my keyboard lit!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #10 
Aus

Aaand - here's the thread. :)

http://www.bettafish.com/search.php?searchid=1244077

Thanks for the inspiration, bettasloveme!