Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 
Sadie555

Heater Troubles?

I have a Hagen Elite Submersible Preset Heater of 25-Watt that I've had for about 1 month now. It seems to not be working as well as it did before. The temperature is slowly falling, and it's not staying on for quite as long. Has anyone else had this issue before? Is there anything I can do to keep from having to buy ANOTHER heater? (This is my 2nd one.)
Sadie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie555 View Post
I have a Hagen Elite Submersible Preset Heater of 25-Watt that I've had for about 1 month now. It seems to not be working as well as it did before. The temperature is slowly falling, and it's not staying on for quite as long. Has anyone else had this issue before? Is there anything I can do to keep from having to buy ANOTHER heater? (This is my 2nd one.)
Sorry, I've not had that brand, 2 of mine are the ones that came with the Top Fin aquariums & the 3rd is Aqueon. I would call the manufacturer, you should be able to look them up online or if you happen to still have a receipt take it back to the store. Were they both the same brand, if so I think I would stay away from that brand. I'd definitely call or write manufacturer and see if they'd be willing to do anything.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #3 
MSG

That's what happens with preset heaters. If you want control over the temperature, you need to get a heater that's ADJUSTABLE.

Make sure you research the specific brands & models before you buy one.

There's a lot of crappy heaters out there & sounds like you own 2 of them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
That's what happens with preset heaters. If you want control over the temperature, you need to get a heater that's ADJUSTABLE.

Make sure you research the specific brands & models before you buy one.

There's a lot of crappy heaters out there & sounds like you own 2 of them.
Good catch, I didn't register the word "preset" in her sentence.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I agree. I've never had a preset heater work for longer than a few months. I avoid them at all costs. You won't find too many 25w adjustable heaters. The only one I know of is the Hydor THEO 25w. Depending on how large the tank is you could go up to a 50w heater.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 
MSG

I have a 25W Visi-Therm that I use, but not sure if I would recommend it because there's so many other heaters out there.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote