Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 
clarkk

Unhappy Help! I don't know what's wrong with my betta!

Housing

What size is your tank? About 1.5 Gallons - 2 Gallons. I never really measured; he's just in a nice cylindrical vase.

What temperature is your tank? Room Temperature 70F +

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Is your tank heated? No

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Tetramin flakes, Tetramin freeze-dried bloodworms, and occasionally pellets (Not at the same time though! These foods are all pre-soaked in tank water for full expansion before he eats.)

How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily in the afternoon, usually fasts once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Once a week or week and a half (I'm extremely busy :( )

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
75%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
AquaSafe or BettaSafe (whichever is on hand)

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I haven't tested it.

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Top fin is basically gone, bottom fins are sort of clumpy, and rear fin seems to be getting smaller, but over very long periods of time. I haven't noticed it really, until just recently. The ends of his fins are whitish and a little bit stringy, but he's a white betta who didn't have huge, beautiful fins to begin with so it's hard to tell...I'm almost positive it's very mild fin rot or something similar, but I don't know how to tell or fix it :(

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
It hasn't, really. He swims to the top for air, when I come in the room he perks up, and he still attacks his food with just as much excitement as usual. :) Lately, though, I've noticed he's had a little bit of trouble swimming, but it's barely noticeable. He's been floating more sideways, (like vertical, I guess) and he lays at the bottom on his rocks sometimes (but that's not unusual for Vasco).

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About a week or two ago...I didn't notice that they were worsening until a few days ago. I had assumed he tore something on a plastic plant, so I removed the plant and didn't think anything of it.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I really haven't...I don't know what to use. I recently purchased items for a "Betta First Aid Kit" since little Vasco is accompanying me to college in twenty days, so I have Jungle Lifeguard All-in-One tablets, Aquarium Salt, and BettaFix. I also have Melafix (I know, it's basically the same but it was around the house from previous fish tanks so I grabbed it), CopperSafe, Stress Coat, Jungle Internal Parasite Guard, and Jungle Clear Water. (Any other additions I might want to make before the move?)

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I'm aware of. He occasionally suffers from bloating but I've recently begun fasting him on Saturdays and feeding him half of a pea on Sundays to relieve the constipation. It seems to be working better.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I purchased Vasco form a local Critter Corner pet store a little bit less than one year ago. Probably...last October, so about nine or ten months ago.

Please help me out as much as possible. I'd really love for Vasco to come up to college with me healthily and active, and he's my baby. Also, if you guys have any tips on making the move easier (it's a two hour car ride) feel free to message me or add them into your advice. Thank you.
clarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, first I would advise not to put a betta in a vase, that limits their swim room, and they will eventually become more and more lethargic, and upgrade to a real tank with ample swimming room, also betta's need a heater, for optimum health, at least a temp of 78degrees is sufficient..also for best health is to change the water 50% 3x a week and 100% once per week, if you do upgrade you will not have to change the water as much, however I would suggest a 5 gallon for that to become a possibility.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 
lelei

I also need to add, if your unsure of the water temp, you will need to have a thermometer for temperature flucuations, and Pellets would be best for nutrition, flakes really make more mess than anything, and I would reccomend that you consider getting a high quality pellet such as Omega One or Hakari Gold or New life spectrum for the his diet, freeeze dried bw's are only good for a treat 1x per week or every other week. also are you using a water conditioner? when you change the water..

for the time being clean warm water, and more room will do wonders, do not treat for anything, with those type of medications, becausse they can cause more harm than good..just change the water and get him in a bigger home, and get a heater as soon as you can~
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 
clarkk

Would it be a bad idea to add a half teaspoon of aquarium salt and do a water change daily until I can get a heater and bigger tank? It will probably be a few days and I read that aquarium salt can help spur regrowth of fins and stop any harmful bacteria....or is that a bad idea?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #5 
lelei

Actually I was going to mention the AQ salt, but yes, you still need to treat him in a Hospital tank, and not the vase, if you have or can get a 1.75 gal Kritter keeper, they make great Hospital tanks..and yes, that would work good for 3 days, for mild fin rot.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #6 
lelei

Yes, with daily water changes at 100% first 2 days, then on the 3rd do 50-60 % and replace salt as you go, I would also have a gallon jug of water stored at room temp with the AQ salt premixed so you can have it ready for the water changes, and get the thermometer, they are 1.99-3$ most walmarts or Petcos
Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

If water changes are not frequent enough, ammonia can build up and that can burn off their fins OR they can bite them off themselves if they are unhappy, stressed, bored or because they can.

Do you have a picture of him? fin rot wont' cause him to be vertical nor will it cause him to be lethargic...

do you use water conditioner?

Also, if he bloats easily, try ditching the flakes and using only betta pellets and the occasional blood worm. Supposingly flakes can cause bloating since its easy to overfeed with them. I use New life spectrum betta pellets. sometimes i feed them flakes - a few times a month just for variety.

You shouldn;t have too much trouble with only a 2 hr drive. I took my in bettas from alaska to NY in winter The most important thing is to keep them at a good temp for bettas. If you will have the AC on, make sure they do not get too cold or hot. I ended up having to hold mine in a rat carrier under 4 flannel blankets and in my lap for 8 days but I doubt you will have to deal with -40F temps in summer. are you the driver? you could keep him in a styrofoam coffee cup with the lid and keep it in the cup holder.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hi there! Sorry your betta is feeling so well!

you shouldn't soak pellets in water because it drains the nutrients from them
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #9 
clarkk

lelei - Thanks so much for the help!
TikiBirds - I know about the vertical thing and the lethargy. Vasco is recovering from a swim bladder disorder, and I was overfeeding him for a while, unknowingly because of the flakes. I just was looking around online and saw that flakes weren't good, so I recently cut down a lot and he's been getting better. I'm treating him in some salt water for a few days with some extra tank changes and I'm going to start keeping his tank better. With college and whatnot, I've been super busy (I know, not an excuse, but you know how life gets sometimes.). I'm definitely going to try the Newlife pellets! Thanks. And wow! That is a far drive! Thanks for the advice :)
MyRainbowBettaFish - Hm! I never thought of that. I just heard they were easier for the fish to digest and would help prevent bloating. Do you have any other ideas as to how I can help keep my Betta from bloating but continue pellet feeding?

Tags
fin rot, help me please, oh my goodness