Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Nice!! Haha Meagan always forgot she was supposed to be hiding and come out to greet me. Just to have the male chase her! Was a bit hard scooping her out when she was either hiding or darting away
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #12 
Aus

Good luck! And I want pics of the fry when they grow out!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Lol if there are fry to grow out. Dad hasn't eaten anyone yet and is still sitting under the nest but I don't want to moz myself haha.

Lucky all my cultures are doing well currently and I have the stuff to make some BBS hatcheries up. I am all prepared, just need some fry to start happening haha.

Forgot to add it is this pair that I had in the spawn tank:

Female is nearly completely black now. Got to love that marbling.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 07-31-2012 at 07:01 PM.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Omg he has lovely colors... And she is cool!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah they both have nice form (except the male's anal) and colour. I need an updated photo of her as she is completely black except for her head. Then she has these iridescent turquoise spots along her body and some red wash in her fins.

His head is all blue now instead of being white but I think it actually makes him look nicer.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Well dad ate all the eggs the turd. So I put the female into a breeders' box in one of my cycled, planted tanks while the male had free roam. Female was going nuts trying to get out to him and I think she actually blew a bubblenest right up against the box wall.

I let her out just to see what they'd do and the male chased her around for about two minutes before she gathered herself and chased him around too. Then she went under the nest outside the breeders' box while he was going nuts trying to woo her into the breeders' box.

They are now wrapping inside the breeders' box (it is plastic and has sides you can lift up or down).

This is just an experiment to see if I can get some viable fry this time around. Figure the tank is cycled and established (over a year) so no ammonia spikes, and if my wild fry can manage to thrive and not die because I have substrate and some current then so should my splendens be able to.

I swear these two fish recognise each other because every time I put them near each other the female just goes insane. Yet I had her in with another male and she was not nearly as attentive.

I also found I had more wild juveniles in one of my tanks (five instead of two). I almost killed everyone in there though as the heater was turned down so it didn't come on and the water temperature was only around 16-17 degrees celsius. Luckily they can cope with cooler temperatures than splendens can.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Wow lol. Good luck this time around. I have to get a new crowntail breeder... Ricky did not survive the move. So next week fish shopping ;) and ordering a doubletail (pair) hopefully I find ones that WONT be egg eaters hahaha. And I am dying to breed my crowntail Candy :)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Well dad has a nice little clutch of eggs he is tending to in the breeders' box. I left the light on overnight as it only seems he eats them when I turn it off. So I will leave it on again tonight.

I did wake up in the middle of the night to find our 'special' cat right near the tank all tangled up in the LED light. I was freaking out the male would have eaten all his eggs because he panicked but nope, he'd just moved them under the cover of the towel I'd placed over his tank.

I am crossing fingers and toes for just like five eggs to hatch. I really want something out of these two. Hopefully in this environment he might be less inclined to eat them as it is just like a normal tank.