Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
Lidralyn

Worried about my Betta...

I have a Betta fish aquarium that I set up yesterday and let run for about 4 hours and added my Betta into it. It is a 2.5 gallon tank with 2 collosium type decorations and black rocks in it. It has a filter and a pretty hot lamp to keep it warm. I set up the aquarium and added some easy balance plus for the amount of water I had, and then a small amount of plant food solution as I Have 6 bulbs of live plants under the rocks I am waiting to grow. My Betta was wonderful last night when I put him in, he swam around and had a good time! Today he has mostly laid around the bottom of the tank, he will come up for air and swim around for a few minutes, then go back and rest. Sometimes for just a few minutes, sometimes more like 5-10, then moves around again. I fed him 5-10 pellets like the instructions said to twice a day for almost 3 days while he was in a tiny bowl before I got the aquarium set up. I fed him 10 this morning and now I am afraid I over fed him. I have only given him 1 pellet tonight and he seemed super happy to get it and swam around a lot after...is he just a lazy fish? Or could he be sick?
Lidralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 
MSG

Don't feed them for the next 2 days.

Would you mind posting a picture of your tank?

I'm interested to see which Roman style decorations you chose.

10 pellets is WAY too much for 1 feeding.

He's lethargic because his belly is about to erupt
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Would you mind posting a picture of your tank?

I'm interested to see which Roman style decorations you chose.

10 pellets is WAY too much for 1 feeding.

He's lethargic because his belly is about to erupt
I agree ^

Also a lamp is not a sufficent way to heat a tank. You will need an actual heater to maintain a temperature of around 80 degrees in your bettas water at all times.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
Lidralyn

Here is my setup. I was looking at a heater, but for such a small tank I was afraid it would over heat it, especially since there is no central air in this building and it's been over 90 degrees constantly outside lately. Didn't want to make him too hot.

As far as the feeding, if I drop him down to 1-2 pellets twice a day is that a good level? or what should I do as far as the feeding goes? SHould I got a few days without feeding at all to let him digest?
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 
Lidralyn

Also I was looking at possibly adding 2-3 ghost shrimp to the tank for fun and if he decides to eat them, no big deal. Was also thinking about an apple snail as well. Is that too much for the tank? I assume since they aren't actual fish...and the Betta could just eat them if he wanted to then they would be ok. He seems to be pretty bored today...but may just be food coma as you guys said.

He should have more to play around with once the plants start to grow.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

To be honest you're more likely to overheat him with a lamp.
If you get a heater that has a thermostat, it will automatically turn itself off once it reaches the temp it is set to. Then it will only turn back on if the temp gets lower than the setting.

I have heated my 2.5 gal quarantine tank with an adjustable heater that had a thermostat designed for a 10 gallon tank.. No problems whatsoever.

Personally I would not add anything else to a 2.5 gal. Definitely not a snail, they create way too much bioload, especially if your tank isn't cycled.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #7 
Lidralyn

He looks so much better with the lamp on tho, is there a way to keep the lamp and it not over heat or harm him? I'd be willing to get a small heater to go along with it, but I still would like to keep the light on. Are their any specific bulbs or anything I could get that would work?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very new to this, but want to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
To be honest you're more likely to overheat him with a lamp.
If you get a heater that has a thermostat, it will automatically turn itself off once it reaches the temp it is set to. Then it will only turn back on if the temp gets lower than the setting.

I have heated my 2.5 gal quarantine tank with an adjustable heater that had a thermostat designed for a 10 gallon tank.. No problems whatsoever.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidralyn View Post
He looks so much better with the lamp on tho, is there a way to keep the lamp and it not over heat or harm him? I'd be willing to get a small heater to go along with it, but I still would like to keep the light on. Are their any specific bulbs or anything I could get that would work?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very new to this, but want to do it right.
No. Lamps aren't designed for fish tanks. If you actually want to do it right you will get a heater that is designed for a fish tank.

Heaters are adjustable and designed for this purpose. Lamps are not.
If you want a light, get a hood. Bettas shouldn't be in uncovered tanks because they are known to jump. In the wild they jump from puddle to puddle until they reach a larger body of water. Leaving it uncovered is asking for him to jump out... Except there's no water on the other side :(

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #9 
cjconcepcion

if it makes you feel any better i have a heater made for a 50-100 gallon tank in my 5 gallon tank and it works just fine
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 
Lidralyn

Well the lamp is part of the tank on the top of the kit...its the lid to the tank. So I should get a heater and then turn the lamp off? Or could I leave the lid light on as well as have the heater on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
No. Lamps aren't designed for fish tanks. If you actually want to do it right you will get a heater that is designed for a fish tank.

Heaters are adjustable and designed for this purpose. Lamps are not.