Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #11 
cjconcepcion

get a heater as well, you can have the heater and the light on at the same time, you should also have a thermometer (it only costs like 2 dollars) so you can monitor the temperature to make sure it dosent get too hot. i know what youre talking about, the tank i have comes with a lid that has a lamp that gets really hot. but it dosent really warm up the water all that much unless its left on all day
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Sorry I misunderstood the situation.
I thought you were using like.. A lamp. Like a desktop lamp. (yes, people do that )

It is fine to leave it on but that light doesn't have enough power to heat the tank. You will still need a heater & also get a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #13 
Lidralyn

Sounds like I will be buying a heater this week then, are the shrimp and snail too bad of an idea this early into the aquariums life? Or at all? Should I wait for the plants to grow more before I add anything else to the tank?
Lidralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidralyn View Post
Sounds like I will be buying a heater this week then, are the shrimp and snail too bad of an idea this early into the aquariums life? Or at all? Should I wait for the plants to grow more before I add anything else to the tank?
I don't know a lot about shrimp, but I believe a few would be okay. (correct me if I'm wrong) but definitely don't get a snail. Snails poop A LOT. they poop way more than fish and add a ton of ammonia to the tank.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #15 
Lidralyn

Also, you answered why he was so sluggish right now. Should I not feed him for couple of days? to let him catch up, or just go lighter on the food? I am using Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets. What would be a normal routine to start using for feeding him?

I was thinking of getting one of the packs that have some frozen brine shrimp and blood worms as well to keep for a once or twice a week treat as well bc I heard the salt in them would be good for him. Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #16 
Lidralyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I don't know a lot about shrimp, but I believe a few would be okay. (correct me if I'm wrong) but definitely don't get a snail. Snails poop A LOT. they poop way more than fish and add a ton of ammonia to the tank.
Oh sad, I was hoping the snail would help keep the Algae level down over time. I plan on doing 20% water changes weekly with this setup, so was hoping with the snail it would help keep the growth down some as well. But I was kind of worried I would get a call from my wife that the snail escaped and she wouldn't want to touch it too...lol
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Also, you answered why he was so sluggish right now. Should I not feed him for couple of days? to let him catch up, or just go lighter on the food? I am using Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets. What would be a normal routine to start using for feeding him?

I was thinking of getting one of the packs that have some frozen brine shrimp and blood worms as well to keep for a once or twice a week treat as well bc I heard the salt in them would be good for him. Thoughts?
I would not feed him for at least two days.
I know it's hard, but do NOT give in & feed him. If a betta gets too bloated it can die (not trying to scare you but it's very serious)

I'm not familiar with the size of your pellets... Are they the "baby"
Size ones or just regular size?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #18 
LebronTheBetta

Both. He needs to slim and adjust to his new home. :) For those small pellets, 6 is the absolute maximum you can feed him a day. I suggest 2 pellets 2x a day. You could also fast him once a week, to let his digestive system not build up. Yes, treats are great. Salt doesn't really do anything to them. It's just good for variety and their liking.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Oh sad, I was hoping the snail would help keep the Algae level down over time. I plan on doing 20% water changes weekly with this setup, so was hoping with the snail it would help keep the growth down some as well. But I was kind of worried I would get a call from my wife that the snail escaped and she wouldn't want to touch it too...lol
Is your tank cycled?

If it is- 20-30% weekly change is fine.
If not, you need to do 2 water changes per week, one 50% change and one 100% change.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #20 
Lidralyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Is your tank cycled?

If it is- 20-30% weekly change is fine.
If not, you need to do 2 water changes per week, one 50% change and one 100% change.
I literatlly just set up the tank yesterday, put in the water solution and plant food and then put in the betta 5 hours later after I let the water cycle some. So I don't think it would be considered "cycled" 50% water change would be ok, but how does a 100% water change work? If you are changing 100% of the water....then how does it ever get cycled?