Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

"Bella" is now dropping her eggs and having a feast! lol
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Once mature, a female will always have unripe eggs in them and they will either drop and eat them (like yours is doing) or leave them alone or they will absorb them on a regular basis-

All normal and not an indication that she needs to be spawned.

When full of eggs its not uncommon for them to take on a head down-tail up position when they swim.

Or for their poop to look somewhat creamy/white in color for a few days after they eat their eggs or reabsorb them. So you don't want to confuse the color change of the poop as internal parasite and treat needlessly.

Once the female detects the male her eggs will start to ripen.

The eggs are dropped from the ovipositor that is on her abdomen between the paired ventral fins-you can usually see a little white dot.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Once mature, a female will always have unripe eggs in them and they will either drop and eat them (like yours is doing) or leave them alone or they will absorb them on a regular basis-

All normal and not an indication that she needs to be spawned.

When full of eggs its not uncommon for them to take on a head down-tail up position when they swim.

Or for their poop to look somewhat creamy/white in color for a few days after they eat their eggs or reabsorb them. So you don't want to confuse the color change of the poop as internal parasite and treat needlessly.

Once the female detects the male her eggs will start to ripen.

The eggs are dropped from the ovipositor that is on her abdomen between the paired ventral fins-you can usually see a little white dot.
Thanks OFL...it is fascinating to watch. Today she has some of them in little bubble groups, but keeps going back to snack. I posted a question ealier..should I not feed her for a day or so after this "feast"?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote