Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #21 
LebronTheBetta

How much do they cost? It's because I always wanted a dog, and my dad said only if we have a backyard and if the house we're moving to has one. -_- I know EVERY pet takes time, money, and commitment. Even beardies live up to 20 years. That's like, more than some dogs can live. The only problems I have are with those mealworms and live bugs... Those just creep me out. I was always interested in reptiles. I wanted a Gecko but then my dad said sure, and then I said no it's OK. Geckos take far less room than Beardies. That's why he said yes, those Beardies are too big. If I don't have a dog, I always wanted a reptile. Snakes, too high risk of salmonella. Even escaping. Too big, too. *sigh* I don't know what I'll do.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
How much do they cost? It's because I always wanted a dog, and my dad said only if we have a backyard and if the house we're moving to has one. -_- I know EVERY pet takes time, money, and commitment. Even beardies live up to 20 years. That's like, more than some dogs can live. The only problems I have are with those mealworms and live bugs... Those just creep me out. I was always interested in reptiles. I wanted a Gecko but then my dad said sure, and then I said no it's OK. Geckos take far less room than Beardies. That's why he said yes, those Beardies are too big. If I don't have a dog, I always wanted a reptile. Snakes, too high risk of salmonella. Even escaping. Too big, too. *sigh* I don't know what I'll do.

Actually any reptile can carry salmonella. The key is to have great husbandry. CLEAN YOUR HANDS. Never kiss your reptile and clean up after the reptile. :) beardies cost 40-400 to buy with or without cage. 10 dollars per 100 watt bulb a month and the mealworms arent the staple diet :p use tongs or tweezers to handle bugs lol.

Truthfully... A 40 is minimal for a beardie 50 is better. Also depends on morph and gender.. Females are generally smaller and German beardies can be massive!! And you are right... Every animal needs time care and has expenses. But Ifind beardies easier... No noise polution, low odor (if cleaned properly), friendly if raised and treated well...etc :) best animal I have had lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #23 
LebronTheBetta

They really are magnificent creatures. Are they good companions? If I don't get a dog, I need a great companion. A breeder is a better place to get them, right? My Petsmart always has them. No Geckos. Maybe I need to ask my friend's dad. He builds things, like tables. He might build those exotic ones. ^^
Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #24 
Bettanewbie60

He is too cool! Love how he rides!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Yeah Jim shotguns rides lol.

As a companion...they are great. Sit on your lap, or chill infront of a window. Or wander around and taste all they can... Even you LOL. They have a huge personality. Truthfully breeders are as bad as the pet stores... When looking at a breeder's bearded dragons ask as many questions as possible... Even check out beardies from owners needing to sell. Ask what they feed if they have ever bitten and PICTURES and in PERSON is wht I recommend. Jim has gotten so much more color now since we got him... Look for activeness, response, and clean and healthy scales.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

So if the Beardie is healthy, I could buy it from a pet store? Including the living area, and I'll ask what they feed them. They're like juvenile in Petsmart. They're always on those wood things the bask. They're pretty small and cute. :3 Off to researching I go!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
So if the Beardie is healthy, I could buy it from a pet store? Including the living area, and I'll ask what they feed them. They're like juvenile in Petsmart. They're always on those wood things the bask. They're pretty small and cute. :3 Off to researching I go!
Lol only problem with babies... You cannot hold them. You will end up hurting them... A year old is a good age to get one I'd say. And remember to get a terrarium suitable for an adult... If you get a baby save up for a bigger enclosure. :)

Good luck lol. 10 beardies were on kijiji in my area...
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #28 
LionCalie

Jim is very handsome! I rescued a 2 year old beardie in June. He isn't a any special morph, his growth is stunted and he has MBD of the jaw. I love him dearly though. Like you, I was amazed at how personable and interactive they are. I'm still working on socializing my boy, his name is Gizzy. He wasn't handled much. He did come with an awesome custom built 4'x2'x2' enclosure though.

My guy loves Collard, Mustard and Dandelion greens. They are excellent stable foods too. Here is a website that I found to be extremely helpful in learning what foods are the most nutritious to feed. Also which foods to avoid or never feed.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

OK. Jim is awesome BTw! Looks... Reptile-E Lol
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Thanks Lion!
ooo MBD.... :( poor thing. My ex roomie rescued an iguana with MBD, underweight and has mouth rot to a point it went out through her skin! Ick...

And thanks Lebron LOL.