Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 
Pixielator

Question Mystery sickness, dying betta, help?

I got a new betta about 3 days ago from petco. He looked and acted perfectly healthy until 20 minutes ago (he was even acting normal earlier today when I fed him) when my husband pointed out that he was laying on his side at the bottom of his (temporary) container. When I looked closer I noticed a jelly like substance on his body. I have no idea what this stuff is, could somebody please look at the pictures below and tell me whats going on with my fish? Also, he's still alive but I'm pretty sure he's gonna die now, so can someone please tell me a humane way to end his suffering? Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

to euthanize the fish if it gets worse:

the best way is to put a fish down in my opinion is to put him in doggie bag of tank water and put it in the freezer. The fit goes in a deep sleep that it never wakes up from.

Poor baby,he is such a pretty fish. Maybe someone else can give you some more advice.

Good luck with the little guy :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 
cjconcepcion

in all my years owning bettas ive never seen anything like that... im sorry this had to happen to your little guy :( if you have clove oil you can out 2 drops of that into a plastic bag filled with water and him inside, and after 15 minutes put 3 more drops. if you dont have clove oil, just put him in a plastic bag with some of his tank water, add a bunch of ice cubes and put him in the freezer, his temperature will drop and he'll be unconscious before he knows what hit him
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
to euthanize the fish if it gets worse:

the best way is to put a fish down in my opinion is to put him in doggie bag of tank water and put it in the freezer. The fit goes in a deep sleep that it never wakes up from.

Poor baby,he is such a pretty fish. Maybe someone else can give you some more advice.

Good luck with the little guy :)
No don't euthanize him that way! Ice crystals form Inside the fish and it IS. A slow painful death!

The way to euthanize is to put him in a cup & pour clove oil in the cup. It works as an anesthetic. Place a SEPERATE cup of water in the freezer. Once a thin sheet of ice forms on the surface of the water, remove the cup. Check to make sure your betta is still under the "anesthesia" then pour his body into the cup of ice water. He will die from temperature shock but wouldn't havefelt a thing.

Sorry it sounds brutal but it needed to be said.
I'm sorry about your guy. :(
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Looks like a very serious case of a fungal or bacterial infection. Never saw this one before, sorry. The best way of euthanizing IMO, is the clove oil way. Sorry... He's really beautiful...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I'd say... fast acting strain of columnarious or fungus. If it came on this quickly, the only chance is if you have Kanaplex or another medicine with kanamyacin on hand now. Even then it's probably too late. I'm sorry.

Clove oil is supposed to be the "peaceful" way, be warned, you need to containers you won't need again. Clove oil... your hands will smell for days after.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 
Pixielator

I know, he's beautiful. I was gonna try to breed him later on. And yeah he had nothing on him earlier I fed him around 2 pm and he was perfectly fine. This really sucks. Is there any chance that this could spread to my other bettas who are in different containers? And will bleaching the infected container get rid of the columnarious or fungus? Or should I just toss this container out?

I don't have clove oil and no stores are open right now, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your advice, guys.

Last edited by Pixielator; 07-30-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
I know, he's beautiful. I was gonna try to breed him later on. I feel so bad, I hope I didn't do anything wrong that caused this. Hopefully someone on here has seen this before.

I don't have clove oil and no stores are open right now, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your advice, guys.
You don't have a 24 hour drug store or walmart?
I'm not familiar with another humane way... If you can't get any clove oil you may need to wait till morning.

Again, I'm so sorry this is happening. :(
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #9 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
You don't have a 24 hour drug store or walmart?
I'm not familiar with another humane way... If you can't get any clove oil you may need to wait till morning.

Again, I'm so sorry this is happening. :(

Theres a walmart but it closes at 9pm. And theres no 24 hour drug store around here. Thats one sucky thing about Vermont, everything closes super early because there are so few people here.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #10 
Silverfang

odds are he won't be around in 8 hours, I've seen a fish come down with this, they go quickly. There are other methods... but they are not for the squeamish.

I couldn't bring myself to decapitation or BFT (blunt force trauma). I've been told by a few knowledgeable people these methods are human, but I just couldn't, if you need someone to talk to, I've pointed this case out to Sakura. She helped me when I had to put down one of my girls.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote