Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Pixielator,

I'm sorry no stores are open. The best and most humane way to euthanize a fish without any aids (ie, clove oil etc), is to hit it on the head to stun it and then swiftly decapitate it just behind the gills. It is, needless to say, also the hardest method. :( Maybe your husband could do it?

I'm so sorry he is sick. The suddeness of his symptoms makes me wonder if there was something in his water. If he has a heater, check it to make sure it isn't leaking any chemicals (especially Petco brand heaters and Topfin heaters, they are notorious for this). If you just did a water change, did you remember water conditioner?

It's also possible, because he is just from Petco, that he has had a nasty infection brewing inside for several days. Either way, please don't blame yourself. He had a few good days with you.

EDIT:
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/euthanasia.aspx

In particular, you may need to consider Ice-Cold Bath or carbon dioxide methods, since you don't have clove oil available. fishchannel can be relied on to give good advice as they are the online website of the soon-to-be-defunct magazine Aquarium Fish International (magazine folding under rising postal and printing costs).

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #12 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Pixielator,

I'm sorry no stores are open. The best and most humane way to euthanize a fish without any aids (ie, clove oil etc), is to hit it on the head to stun it and then swiftly decapitate it just behind the gills. It is, needless to say, also the hardest method. :( Maybe your husband could do it?

I'm so sorry he is sick. The suddeness of his symptoms makes me wonder if there was something in his water. If he has a heater, check it to make sure it isn't leaking any chemicals (especially Petco brand heaters and Topfin heaters, they are notorious for this). If you just did a water change, did you remember water conditioner?

It's also possible, because he is just from Petco, that he has had a nasty infection brewing inside for several days. Either way, please don't blame yourself. He had a few good days with you.

If thats my only option to end his suffering, then I think I'll be able to do it. Are you sure that this condition causes pain though? Because if not, then I could just let him dye peacefully on his own.

There was nothing in the tank besides water, and I didn't forget the conditioner. I can't think of anything that I did wrong, but I still feel guilty.

That is true though, I normally wouldn't buy from petco, but he was just so pretty I couldn't help myself.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Pixielator, I don't think he is in pain but he is certainly in distress because he can't breathe easily. If you do want to let him go on his own, lower the water level to about an inch or so it's just barely covering his body. This way he can easily raise his head to breathe air. If he can't breathe air from the surface, he'll literally drown.

You've done nothing wrong. Often, fish from pet stores are very ill. Their immune systems are severely compromised from being kept in those tiny cups without water changes. By the time we get them home, their bodies have been under so much stress that they often die even though they're in good conditions. :( It's sad because it makes so many new fishkeepers think they are bad at fishkeepign but that isn't the case. I suspect he was sick before you got him.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
If thats my only option to end his suffering, then I think I'll be able to do it. Are you sure that this condition causes pain though? Because if not, then I could just let him dye peacefully on his own.

There was nothing in the tank besides water, and I didn't forget the conditioner. I can't think of anything that I did wrong, but I still feel guilty.

That is true though, I normally wouldn't buy from petco, but he was just so pretty I couldn't help myself.
You are very brave.
It's not your fault, fish come from pet stores sick all the time. I bought a girl not too long ago who looked healthy at the store but then came down with dropsy & died 9 days later.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Oh, when I said "just from Petco" I meant he was just recently bought from there, not that he was "just" a Petco betta (derogatory). Most of my bettas are from Petco. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

If you can't bring yourself to use blunt force trauma or don't have clove oil on hand, you can use ice-cold water and it will kill a fish in under 30 seconds.

I put a container of water in the freezer until ice forms over the surface. I break this up, remove it, and then add the fish. While not immediate, for me it has been faster and less stressful than using clove oil (even when overdosed and mixed properly my fish have usually always thrashed about). Usually the fish is in shock and dead before it knows what is going on.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #17 
Pixielator

Quote:
Oh, when I said "just from Petco" I meant he was just recently bought from there, not that he was "just" a Petco betta (derogatory). Most of my bettas are from Petco. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Oh thats okay. Sorry if I offended you. I'm just not really for corporate pet stores so I don't normally buy animals from there. But I don't mean to offend anyone who does normally buy from there. Its a personal preference. I'm a bit of a hypocrite for buying from there occasionally, so its not like I'd have room to talk anyway.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #18 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
You are very brave.
It's not your fault, fish come from pet stores sick all the time. I bought a girl not too long ago who looked healthy at the store but then came down with dropsy & died 9 days later.

I'm sorry about your girl. Thanks for being so reassuring and supportive. I don't feel as bad now. That last part goes out to everyone else who's replied to this too. I really appreciate it everyone.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #19 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
No don't euthanize him that way! Ice crystals form Inside the fish and it IS. A slow painful death!

The way to euthanize is to put him in a cup & pour clove oil in the cup. It works as an anesthetic. Place a SEPERATE cup of water in the freezer. Once a thin sheet of ice forms on the surface of the water, remove the cup. Check to make sure your betta is still under the "anesthesia" then pour his body into the cup of ice water. He will die from temperature shock but wouldn't havefelt a thing.

Sorry it sounds brutal but it needed to be said.
I'm sorry about your guy. :(
OMG i feel horrible! I have such a weak heart for animals!!! awwwww I am so sorry!!!!!

I have never heard of the clove oil method really...again, i am really sorry!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #20 
Pixielator

Quote:
Pixielator, I don't think he is in pain but he is certainly in distress because he can't breathe easily. If you do want to let him go on his own, lower the water level to about an inch or so it's just barely covering his body. This way he can easily raise his head to breathe air. If he can't breathe air from the surface, he'll literally drown.

You've done nothing wrong. Often, fish from pet stores are very ill. Their immune systems are severely compromised from being kept in those tiny cups without water changes. By the time we get them home, their bodies have been under so much stress that they often die even though they're in good conditions. :( It's sad because it makes so many new fishkeepers think they are bad at fishkeepign but that isn't the case. I suspect he was sick before you got him.

I've lowered the water level but he doesn't seem able to lift his head. Since I don't know how to pith a fish, I don't want to decapitate him, so I'm going to try the cold water thing (teeneythebetta, don't worry, I'm not putting him in the freezer, but using a different cold water method explained on the site that sakura suggested i look at) . Thank you for your help and support.

Last edited by Pixielator; 07-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.