Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #21 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
OMG i feel horrible! I have such a weak heart for animals!!! awwwww I am so sorry!!!!!

I have never heard of the clove oil method really...again, i am really sorry!!

I don't know if you're saying sorry to me or to teeneythebetta, but if its to me, then don't be sorry. It's okay, I know you were only trying to help, and I'm thankful for that. Don't feel bad.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #22 
Pixielator

I don't think anyone is still reading this thread, but if anyone is, then could you tell me what to do with the tank that the sick fish is in? Is this something that I can bleach out of the tank later, or do I have to throw it away?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #23 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
I don't think anyone is still reading this thread, but if anyone is, then could you tell me what to do with the tank that the sick fish is in? Is this something that I can bleach out of the tank later, or do I have to throw it away?
Usually I would suggest vinegar but since we don't know what's wrong, I say bleach the tank & decor. Try to rinse them out very well & let it sit out to dry.I would throw away the gravel.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #24 
Sprinkles55

I'm so sorry to hear...it must be tough, but he'll be happy to be out of his misery soon. Hopefully the next betta you get will be lovely as him and very healthy.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #25 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkles55 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear...it must be tough, but he'll be happy to be out of his misery soon. Hopefully the next betta you get will be lovely as him and very healthy.
Thank you. I hope so too.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #26 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
My fish didn't have what yours has, but he had something pretty nasty that killed him in two weeks. Since I don't have a ton of money, I asked for help on cleaning our his tank and got a lot of responses both on here and calling around to local pet stores and fish specialty stores. The general consensus seemed to be this: use a bleach solution on the tank, heater, and decorations... boil the gravel. Make sure you use only 100% clorox bleach that is entirely unscented, and use about a 5% solution (if it helps, I used 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with 4 and 3/4 cups of water). Rinse it... then rinse it again and again and again until you can't smell even a hint of bleach. Then rinse it a few more times. When you fill it again, add extra dechlorinator (it won't hurt anything and it will help counteract trace amounts of bleach) and test it before you add any fish (preferably a liquid test kit).

I did exactly what I described above and my new fish, Drago, is doing awesome in the tank. If you are not sure what the fish had, maybe see if you can figure it out first. I've heard there are one or two things that can't be killed, even with bleach, so it pays to do as much research as you can.

Hope that helps! And I'm so, so sorry about your little guy. :(

EDIT: here is the link to the thread I posted about cleaning up after a fish dies. It might help a bit? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=108207

Last edited by Seki; 07-31-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #27 
Silverfang

Bleach and vinegar are the two common methods for sanitizing a tank. Since it happened so suddenly and there is no clear cause, I would to be safe. I have to do that myself, I had a girl with dropsy, I plan on using a bleach solution, then after rinsing a few times, use vinegar solution just to be safe.

I have heard of live plants being dipped or rinsed in an even more dilute bleach solution, but have never tried, and am unsure if this is even safe. IF you have live plants that is.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #28 
Ginzuishou

When I got my betta, his fins were all jelly-like, with a mucous-like substance on them.

It looked like your picture, but to a slightly lesser extent.

I put him in a 10 gallon tank with treatment levels of aquarium salt. In a couple of weeks his tail was good as new, no more jelly-like tail, and the mucous-like substance was gone!!

Last edited by Ginzuishou; 07-31-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #29 
Pixielator

Thanks for the info guys, this is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzuishou View Post
When I got my betta, his fins were all jelly-like, with a mucous-like substance on them.

It looked like your picture, but to a slightly lesser extent.

I put him in a 10 gallon tank with treatment levels of aquarium salt. In a couple of weeks his tail was good as new, no more jelly-like tail, and the mucous-like substance was gone!!

This will be nice to know if I see this again in a different fish. I don't think this one would have made it though. He couldn't swim or even lift his head out of the water when I lowered the water level. It's like his whole spine was paralyzed. The only things that were moving on him were his mouth, gills, and the two small fins on his sides (don't know what they're called), if nothing else he would have drowned before the substance started to recede. An hour after checking him in the cold water to see if he'd passed, the jelly stuff had already spread to cover the majority of his head too.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #30 
Gizmothefreaky

I dont know if the fish is still alive or not, i just skimmed through... But i actually euthanize fish in a much quicker way... Instead of cold water, i use near boiling water, they pass quickly, well under ten seconds, and it is quick enough that any pain they may feel doesnt even have time to register... And also with this method, you dont have to wait for water to freeze, just run the hot tap for a minute or so...

So sorry about your fish though! It looks like fungus for sure... :( Ive had several die so suddenly that i didnt even know they were sick, i know how you feel...
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote