Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #1 
CandiceMM

Mild SBD questions..

I adopted a female VT from Petco today knowing she had SBD. I saw her on Sunday and could not get her off my mind so I went in today and got her. I have put her in a 5.5 gallon tank inside a Breeder net so its very easy for her to access air. I have it heated to 82 degrees and have added Stress Coat, IAL, and Aquarium salts. When I saw her at Petco she was on her side but would still swim to bottom of cup. She has been in her hospital tank now for 3 hours and seems like she is already looking better. She free swims but still her buoyancy isn't that great (not that I expect it to be).

So my question is this: I was reading a sticky on here about SBD and they said to use Epsom Salt. This may be a silly question but is it different from Aquarium Salt and should I use that instead?

Second question: I read to feed a partial defrosted pea, then I read not too. Does anybody have any experience with trying both that could give me advice?

I was just going to fast her, because when I picked her up they threw like 5 frozen blood worms in her cup. I'm like really?? She can't even swim! Idiots.

So if there is any advice please fill me in. Thanks!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

1. Epsom Salt is for internal problems. Like internal parasites or bloat. Aquarium Salt if for external problems. Like Ich or a bacterial infection.
2. Feeding a small amount of pea won't hurt your Betta. If it's a big amount it can hurt her digestive system. I suggest frozen Daphnia instead. It's a normal laxative and won't hurt her and all.

Oh, and are you sure she isn't eggy at all?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
1. Epsom Salt is for internal problems. Like internal parasites or bloat. Aquarium Salt if for external problems. Like Ich or a bacterial infection.
2. Feeding a small amount of pea won't hurt your Betta. If it's a big amount it can hurt her digestive system. I suggest frozen Daphnia instead. It's a normal laxative and won't hurt her and all.

Oh, and are you sure she isn't eggy at all?
Thank you for the clarity on Epsom Salt and Aquarium Salt. I'll have to go pick some up tomorrow.

And no she isn't eggy, she is quite young. She is slightly curved like an S and was on her side every time I saw her at Petco. She is having a hard time staying at the bottom of the breeding net but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
This is her. She is very cute!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 
CandiceMM

This is the view from the top.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

She's SO cute!! I LOVE her Marble pattern! I hope she gets better! :) Your welcome BTW. P.S. I love your signature.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 
CandiceMM

I know she is super cute!! I fell in love!! I hope she gets better. I pointed out SBD to the girl at Petco and all she could tell me was to buy a healthier fish! I said I don't need a healthy or gorgeous fish! I want help ma fish I love and she thought I was crazy! But actually I think she is crazy haha. I asked her what will you do with her if I don't buy her and she said humanly dispose :/ Grrrrr
Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Aww she is so cute! I wonder if her colors will change at all once she heals... :)

Youre so awesome Candice! xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #8 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Aww she is so cute! I wonder if her colors will change at all once she heals... :)

Youre so awesome Candice! xD

Aww I think your awesome Teenythe betta!!! I have been working on finding 3 girls for a mini sorority tank and have been very picky! I saw he and I was in love with her purple marbling. I noticed right away she had SBD so I put her down and gave myself one more day to think if I should take on another project. And well of course!!! Duh I needed her. So I went out today and got her. Oh and I got one more pretty girl too. I'll post pics!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #9 
KevinPham123

Already brought home another betta Candice?! LOL. Good on ya.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #10 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
Already brought home another betta Candice?! LOL. Good on ya.
Hahaha, well I am guilty!! I have been planning a female sorority and I can't think of a better way then helping unwanted females that need some loving!