Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 
starr70

new fish having trouble swimming

I went to petsmart to get dog food and there was this twin tail betta that has been there for about two weeks and I notice his tail wasn't as pretty as it was and looks like fin rot. So of course felt sorry for the guy so i bought him. Well i have him in a half gallon cube for now until I can get him back to normal. He is not that big his body maybe two inches and he sit on his tail where he is looking straight from the the bottom of the tank, I fed him immediately when I got him settled in his new tank, he sorta of ate the pellets so I gave him some frozen brine shrimp and he ate those immediately, so he is eating but it looks like he is having trouble swimming. He is very skinny. I am treating him with Melafix is that the correct thing to do? The little guy is pretty alert and wants to be active but he is having trouble swimming. He will go to the top to get air and goes back down to the bottom and really sits on his tail. Any suggestion of what else I could do for him? Ok I just checked on him and he is laying on his side at the bottom. Anyone please give me suggestions, the little guy is really trying to come out of this.
starr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #2 
starr70

ok so i went up to the tank and he swam a little and now back at the bottom, its so sad I really want to help this little guy
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr70 View Post
I went to petsmart to get dog food and there was this twin tail betta that has been there for about two weeks and I notice his tail wasn't as pretty as it was and looks like fin rot. So of course felt sorry for the guy so i bought him. Well i have him in a half gallon cube for now until I can get him back to normal. He is not that big his body maybe two inches and he sit on his tail where he is looking straight from the the bottom of the tank, I fed him immediately when I got him settled in his new tank, he sorta of ate the pellets so I gave him some frozen brine shrimp and he ate those immediately, so he is eating but it looks like he is having trouble swimming. He is very skinny. I am treating him with Melafix is that the correct thing to do? The little guy is pretty alert and wants to be active but he is having trouble swimming. He will go to the top to get air and goes back down to the bottom and really sits on his tail. Any suggestion of what else I could do for him? Ok I just checked on him and he is laying on his side at the bottom. Anyone please give me suggestions, the little guy is really trying to come out of this.
IMMEDIATELY do a 100% water change, melafix will damage his labyrinth organ and kill him! do not use melafix, bettafix, anything -fix.

I would get him in a bigger tank that can be heated. He is acting that way most likely because he is too cold.

Do you have pictures so we can confirm wether this is fin rot or not?

if it is fin rot..
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #4 
starr70

picture

This is the best I could get, its him laying at the bottom, but he will get up and swim. It so sad.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #5 
SparklE fin

What a beautiful boy you have there! Can I suggest a hammock so he can get to the surface easier? You don't have to go out and get those betta hammocks if you don't want to. Just cut a foam cup in half, allow a decent amount in. Also, is the water heated? Heated water wil make him more active and heal quicker. Colder water will actually make him decline, sometimes resulting in death.
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 
starr70

Actually I just got him last night, I will go back to petsmart today and get a hammock. My condo is on the second floor and my condo is two and a half stories so my room is the loft which remains very warm/hot during the day so I think a heater will make the water extremely hot. He is very active just has a hard time swimming and he sits or lays at the bottom. When I walk up to him he starts swimming well trying to and he ate this morning before I left for work. I just want to help this little guy.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

He's exactly like my daughter's betta, which grandma got her...or was it for me...anyway I've heard that it's better for VTs to be in shallower water due to their flowy fins. How true is this? Sorry to hijack this thread.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Does his tummy look bloated ? Hard to see in the pictures but wow his fins do look like they would be heavy. He is very pretty good luck I hope he gets to feeling better real soon !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #9 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr70 View Post
Actually I just got him last night, I will go back to petsmart today and get a hammock. My condo is on the second floor and my condo is two and a half stories so my room is the loft which remains very warm/hot during the day so I think a heater will make the water extremely hot. He is very active just has a hard time swimming and he sits or lays at the bottom. When I walk up to him he starts swimming well trying to and he ate this morning before I left for work. I just want to help this little guy.

I bought a female Betta back in March, I could tell there was something just not quite right with her but I took her home anyways. When I 1st put her in the 10g aquarium she would "swim" from plant leaf to plant leaf, decoration to decoration and seemed compeletely wore out. She could swim down fine, but going up or straight forward were a struggle for her. I wasn't sure she would survive, now 5 months later she is in a 46g community tank & still has some difficulty but she gets where she needs to go & does NOT miss a meal. My suggestion, bigger tank if at all possible & lots of plants, silk or real, especially ones that allow him to get on top of them close to the surface. Ruby LOVES the nest of plants that are floating at the top, she spends the majority of her time there. Good luck with your beautiful boy. Bettas LOVE to have room to stretch out their fins so please make every effort to get him into at least a 5g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #10 
starr70

Thanks everyone and no his tummy is not bloated he is very skinny and the reason I could not get a better pick is because he was laying on his side on the bottom. I will defiantly get him a bigger tank, I just thought because he was having trouble swimming and sick he would do better in the little one for now. I'm going to try the stress coat and salt treatments for now. Ok so salt treatments for no more than 10 days and do water changes every day for now, but what about the stress coat? Do I add that with the salt everyday until he is better and is there a particular brand of stress coat I should get?