Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #1 
CandiceMM

Stupid Things You Hear People Say In Betta Isle!

Come on people, I know we all have spent a few too many hours in the Betta section at any LFS. What stupid things have you heard people say??
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #2 
CandiceMM

I was in Petco today and I heard a guy talking to his friend saying "I need a Betta for my desk". I'm like can't you just get a plant or picture of your wife? Not a live creature you will stick in a tiny vase? They should never be a desk ornament or conversation piece. >:(
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

How is a Betta on a desk bad? You really didn't say anything about what he wants the Betta IN. Anyways, I never really heard any bad advice at my Petsmart. Just an employee telling a person that they need water conditioner or the fish dies.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 
Seki

I was at Petsmart the other day getting some new silk plants for my tank when I saw a woman and her daughter walk into the aisle. They were clearing purchasing their first betta, and I heard them discussing tank options. The girl (she was probably about 13 or so) was looking at an Aqueon 2.5 gallon and saying she was thinking she wanted that one, but then her mother started parroting the old "oh no, bettas do much better in small bowls, they get scared in huge aquariums!" WOW! First, a 2.5 is not huge by any means, it's actually pretty small! Second, the 2.5 was only about $15 more than the 1/2 gallon they were looking at! I couldn't stop myself, I wandered over and started talking about how happy my fish was in his 2.5 gallon and how he zooms all over the place and loves exploring. They were very friendly and peppered me with questions, and by the time we were done talking, they were walking up to the register with the 2.5 gallon, a nice assortment of silk plants, and a cute little pagoda (is that what it's called?) ornament to put in the tank. Heh... petsmart should pay me for stuff like that. LOL
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #5 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
How is a Betta on a desk bad? You really didn't say anything about what he wants the Betta IN. Anyways, I never really heard any bad advice at my Petsmart. Just an employee telling a person that they need water conditioner or the fish dies.
It wouldn't be bad at all but the tank/cup he was pointing at was no bigger than the cup they sell them in. I can't remember the brand name but it literally is the size of a 16oz hot coffee cup. Why do they even sell those?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, god. They need to know that's temporary until the fish is bought! :/ People these days...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #7 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I was at Petsmart the other day getting some new silk plants for my tank when I saw a woman and her daughter walk into the aisle. They were clearing purchasing their first betta, and I heard them discussing tank options. The girl (she was probably about 13 or so) was looking at an Aqueon 2.5 gallon and saying she was thinking she wanted that one, but then her mother started parroting the old "oh no, bettas do much better in small bowls, they get scared in huge aquariums!" WOW! First, a 2.5 is not huge by any means, it's actually pretty small! Second, the 2.5 was only about $15 more than the 1/2 gallon they were looking at! I couldn't stop myself, I wandered over and started talking about how happy my fish was in his 2.5 gallon and how he zooms all over the place and loves exploring. They were very friendly and peppered me with questions, and by the time we were done talking, they were walking up to the register with the 2.5 gallon, a nice assortment of silk plants, and a cute little pagoda (is that what it's called?) ornament to put in the tank. Heh... petsmart should pay me for stuff like that. LOL
I did that too the other day, a couple was getting a betta for their kid and wanted the regular small goldfish bowl. I talked them into the 2.5 and gave them a little info on hoe Betta's love to explore and that it was good exercise. I felt proud! Hahahah
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #8 
CandiceMM

SORRY FOR TYPO ON HEADLINE!!! I type way to fast on my Kindle Fire!! Aisle not Isle! Sorry :/
Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #9 
Silverfang

"Well anyone who tells me that size" the person having made a bowl shaped gesture, maybe a gallon "you want a betta. nah, just replace the water once a week".

*face palm* this was the owner of the LPS.

One of his employees, talking to a customer who had a fish that died (betta probably). Oh, they can live in a bowl, but it's SO much better in something bigger. They need warm water, you want a heater. She ended up talking her into a 5 or 10, I can't remember which. They like having things to hide in and play in. They are more active with warm water and more space.

I stopped and thanked her after.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

I just posted something similar on another thread. "Bettas don't last long anyway."
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote