Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #11 
gn3ranger

At my petco a person asked one of the employee's if the Betta he had just purchased could live with a gold fish in his 20 gallon tank and the employee said yes. I didn't know much at the time but, looking back at it now i feel bad for not saying anything since I now know Betta's need warm water and gold fish like cold water.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #12 
deso

The owner of a certain aquarium store here in Paris told me that bettas can't stand to be kept in anything larger than a one gallon, they don't like filters, heaters aren't necessary, flakes are the best for them, and that you only need to change their water once per week or two. I feel sorry for any betta bought from that store, because not many folks are going to do some research after being told mis-information from a person who should know what they're talking about...
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #13 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
The owner of a certain aquarium store here in Paris told me that bettas can't stand to be kept in anything larger than a one gallon, they don't like filters, heaters aren't necessary, flakes are the best for them, and that you only need to change their water once per week or two. I feel sorry for any betta bought from that store, because not many folks are going to do some research after being told mis-information from a person who should know what they're talking about...

At that point, Deso, I would make a flyer with the correct information and bring it to the Store, and ask the Manager to add them to the counter when people are purchasing bettas, or in the betta section of the store, to make sure people know how to properly take care of these beautiful fishy's..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #14 
OrangeAugust

I was in Petco last week, and there was a mom and her daughter, probably about 7 years old, looking at fish. They decided on goldfish and they picked up a smallish tank (a betta tank- not one of the ridiculously small ones, but I think it was one of those 1/2 gallons. So still too small) and asked one of the employees if you could keep goldfish in it. She said, "No, you need at least 10 gallons for goldfish." So the mom said, "Then what kind of fish can go in here?" And the employee said, "A betta." So they bought the tank and a betta. I was really annoyed because she had the info right about the goldfish, but she automatically said bettas go in small tanks.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 07-31-2012 at 02:02 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #15 
CharStarr

I posted this in another thread but here's mine;

When I went to PJ Pets to purchase my 5 gallon tank, I was talking to the Fish/Reptile Manager about bettas and I hadn't heard of this forum yet so I was asking him questions about water changes and such. He told me not to worry too much about water changes, that he just lets LOTS of the water evaporate until theres like 25% left and then he fills it back up. I was absolutely SHOCKED. He's the MANAGER of the fish department and he's giving this advice to people? Also telling them that bettas get stressed if they are in tanks that are too big.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #16 
mattoboy

"...They're just fish..."

mattoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

"So uhm, can I put food colouring in the water?"

Like, what's the point if you can't even see the fish. o.o
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote