Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 
jessicaohwell

A few questions I need answered please.

So I've just bought a beta fish, and this is a picture of my aquarium it's 1 gallon, and I know it's not ideal, but I don't have the funds to buy another tank.

[I'm going out tomorrow to buy him a heater and thermometer so I can monitor his water temp]

But I have a few questions;
-How often should I clean his tank?
-How much space in between the lid and tank should I leave when I fill it with water?
-Do they like light, how long should I keep it on for him? I know I need to turn it off at night, but I was wondering how much light they like.
-Is there enough space for him with the fake weeds?
-Do I need that filter turned on?
jessicaohwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaohwell View Post
So I've just bought a beta fish, and this is a picture of my aquarium it's 1 gallon, and I know it's not ideal, but I don't have the funds to buy another tank.

[I'm going out tomorrow to buy him a heater and thermometer so I can monitor his water temp]

-How much space in between the lid and tank should I leave when I fill it with water?
-Do they like light, how long should I keep it on for him? I know I need to turn it off at night, but I was wondering how much light they like.
Well, we can't see the picture, but I can still answer questions

1. With a 1g tank, I'd do one 100% every week, just take out all the water, put new water in around the same temperature, add conditioner, then let the fish get used to the new water temperature and put him in.

2. If there is a lid, I'd say fill 'er on up! All the way to the top!

3. They're not too fond of lights, but you can have the lights on from 8-10 hours a day, IMO.

4. Don't know, but I'm guessing yes.

5. Yes, turn on that filter! It'll help with the water quality, and give you less water changes.

Hope this helps!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 
jessicaohwell

Thank you so much :)
jessicaohwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Wait, i have to say my opinions.
1. I'd rather do 1 100% and 1 50% per week. OFL, (Oldfishlady) has proven this method would work to keep the tank great.
2. Leave 1 inch empty so he has air to breath.
3. I agree with 8-10 hours of light. They're diurnal.
4. Can't see the tank, so...
5. The filter would be a bit too strong so I don't suggest it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaohwell View Post

I'd love to see a picture of your tank if you can try to upload it again!

When I first got my betta, I had him in a 1 gal, too.

A close to 100% water change once a week should be okay, especially if you have that filter going. Besides that, you can rinse other equipment in the tank whenever you noticed it starts looking slimy or has debris on it (not as often as the water changes). A clean toothbrush works to scrub the inside of the tank if algae ever builds up, too.

Betta fish can jump, but putting the lid on will keep him safe (and in his tank ). With the lid, you can fill it all the way as long as there's air available for him to breathe. Without a lid, keeping the water about 3 inches from the top is best.

I make sure my fish has some natural sunlight during the day, then I'll put a desk lamp by his tank until about 10 at night. You'll come up with your own routine.

It's good to have somewhere for your betta to hide/rest, so as long as the plant doesn't take up too much of the swimming room, you're fine. Just watch him and see where he prefers to hang out. You can always get a smaller plant for him if you think it'd be better.

A filter is beneficial, just make sure that the current it's putting out isn't too strong and that your betta is able to swim comfortably. If it seems too strong, you can put a filter sponge over it, or even try putting plants in front of it.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any more questions you may have :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #6 
Kenny G

+1 with LebronTheBetta except the filter part. When I first got my first betta I had him in the Tetra Wonder Waters 1.5 gallon tank and it came with the Whisper 3I filter which is built for 1-3 gallon tanks. It worked perfectly and kept the water clean and clear and the current was not to strong for my betta.

The cartridges were inexpensive and I only changed it 1 a month. I could have changed it 4-6 weeks but it was a personal preference.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote