Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #1 
Miko Hayashi

Betta HM with fin rot

I had post a topic about my betta's fin rot on another topic in the betta care section. I now have him in a quarantine tank. I believe his fin rot spread to one of his fins. (The one on the bottom. I don't remember what it was called.)

I have him in a half gallon quarantine tank and added 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt after I mixed it up in a seperate cup. After the salt was all mixed in, I poured it in the tank then scooped him in the cup and put him in.

He keeps flaring his fins at his reflection so I'm hoping he'll stop periodically for his fins to heal. I can see some healing going on though on his tail. It looks like the bottom fin has fin rot only because it's very red and the ends are a little transparent.

I was thinking once his fins heal, I could breed him with a female HM. He's my baby and one of my prides and joys. I'll post a picture of what he looks like later when my stepmom lets me use her Fujifilm camera for a clear image.

I will only apply Bettafix once the bacteria is killed to promote fin regrowth.
Miko Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 
MSG

I think your concentration of salt is 2x higher than it should be.

For a half gallon tank I use 1/2 tsp pure Kosher salt.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the salt/water ratio.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #3 
lvandert

you might be over doing it on the aq salt. 1 tsp for a half gallon sounds like a lot. I would check your box for proper directions on that use. Don't use salts for more than 10 days either, they can harm the labyrinth organ. Ok so with that half gallon you'll have to the water out every day, ammonia will build up super fast in that small of a tank. Also I would stay away from bettafix, in my opinion its unreliable; sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. If you want you can get some stress coat and dose that accordingly It'll help clear things out and grow the fins back.

As for breeding, have you bread before?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #4 
Miko Hayashi

I have not bred before. And I'll change the water accordingly. I read a site that said if the fin rot is severe to up the teaspoon of aquarium salt by 1/2. It looks like it's getting severe since his tail has been torn up and bits are missing so he doesn't have the "halfmoon" flare anymore.
I will get stress coat by the end of the 10-day cycle.

I might buy it online instead since my dad dislocated both of his shoulders. He had them popped back in place but he's been in pain.

I'll bring the aquarium salt to 1/2 teaspoon tomorrow when I change the water.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 
lvandert

My HM boy hasn't had a full HM spread in months. He's getting old and doesn't like the extra weight of his fins so e started biting them... Keep us updated on this guy.

What are you going to breed for? Show quality?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 
Miko Hayashi

I will keep you guys updated. :) He's one of my special babies (my gecko also being one and my dog).

I plan to breed for show quality coloration. His royal blue body is absolutely beautiful. Its color is deep and rich and I was surprised when I saw him at Petco. He was actually very healthy and aside from the fin rot, he still is.

I went to Petco yesterday to get aquarium salt for him so I looked at some of the bettas. I saw some very healthy looking bettas, this red and teal male crowntail having stood out. Usually I hear about chain pet store bettas being unhealthy and such but some of these bettas were healthy looking. I always check them over and if I see a sick or dead one, I inform an employee.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #7 
lvandert

Pet store fish are not show quality fish, no matter how pretty they are. This is how you tell a show quality HM http://www.bettaterritory.nl/Bettas4...haseI-Fig1.jpg Mind you this is like the perfect fish but to be show quality you can't be far off. Where did you get your HM female?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #8 
Miko Hayashi

I never got a HM female as of yet so I have to wait. I don't have a big enough tank for that sort of thing as of right now.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #9 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Hayashi View Post
I will keep you guys updated. :) He's one of my special babies (my gecko also being one and my dog).

I plan to breed for show quality coloration. His royal blue body is absolutely beautiful. Its color is deep and rich and I was surprised when I saw him at Petco. He was actually very healthy and aside from the fin rot, he still is.

I went to Petco yesterday to get aquarium salt for him so I looked at some of the bettas. I saw some very healthy looking bettas, this red and teal male crowntail having stood out. Usually I hear about chain pet store bettas being unhealthy and such but some of these bettas were healthy looking. I always check them over and if I see a sick or dead one, I inform an employee.

Is he the one in your Avatar?..he is very pretty..hope his fins heal up
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #10 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Hayashi View Post
I never got a HM female as of yet so I have to wait. I don't have a big enough tank for that sort of thing as of right now.
You need more than one tank (a 20+ and a 10) and about 100 jars. Plus heaters, sponge filters, lights, live plants, thermometers, IAL, live food cultures, and lots of hiding places for each tank.