Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 
Aus

The Fishless Micro Tank Challenge!

As I've roamed around this forum, I've found several folks (particularly Mo and Aokashi, who are great at these..) making some very charming little (FISHLESS) planted tanks in a gallon or less of water. These inspired me to make a "micro-tank" of my own, out of one those nasty little half gallon betta bow things, and it's coming along very nicely.

So as there's threads for planted tanks, small planted tanks.. how about one for micro-tanks of a gallon or less? And if you don't have one -- why not try making one? All you need is a clean jar/bowl/dinky betta bow ;) and some cuttings off your tank plants, a handful of substrate, a nice bit of indirect window light or a little LED lamp...

If you have one or make one, please post here:

Container
Water Volume
Plant species
Substrate
Lighting
Water Change Schedule
Decorations (wood, stones, etc)
Age of Tank

And while I really (personally) cannot one bit approve of tanks under (at the very least) one gallon for a fish (and thus am asking for these micro tanks to be fishless, please..), do list any livestock (snails, a shrimp or two?) if any.

I'll post pics of my tiny NPT after tomorrow's overhaul.

Last edited by Aus; 07-31-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 
CharStarr

Aus, I was just looking at the first bow that Kudo came in and wondered how I could reuse it. This is a perfect idea! Also, since Kudo can't be with shrimp I was wondering how I can have shrimp without running the risk of having them become a betta snack. Maybe have like one or two shrimp in my little bow that I will make planted! Though I wonder if mine is too small? Will post pics later!
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 
Aus

Shrimp have very low bioloads and I don't see why one or two rcs or a couple of baby snails or a pond snail could not be kept in a very small 'betta-bow' (don't get me started on how stores encourage people to stuff fish in those..) as long as there's adequate water changes/temps kept for the species..

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with your former tank!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #4 
CharStarr

I must do some serious research before I begin an attempt at a planted bow, however I must ask no matter how ridiculous it sounds, rcs is short form for what exactly? Is it a kind of shrimp?
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 
mattoboy

RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp

Aus, just a suggestion, but why don't we change it to like 2 or 2.5 gallons instead of a gallon or under? Just a suggestion because i'm hopefully going to be starting something like that soon with shrimp for growing and selling plants.

In about an hour or so, I will be trying my hand at a like .5 gallon NPT. Hopefully everything goes well!

Matt
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #6 
Aus

There's already a thread for "small planted tanks" - this one's just for under a gallon and a bit of fun..

Char, the planted bow was pretty easy - major challenge was getting the tiny plants planted with my (relatively) big fingers. My eyebrow tweezers proved very handy, lol!! Also, picking the right species with small/slow growth. The dwarf baby tears is awesome! I'm planting a little hydrilla in mine tomorrow..

Last edited by Aus; 07-31-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #7 
mattoboy

Alright, sounds good!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 
PaintingPintos

Sounds absolutely adorable!!!
I have a 1 gallon tank that is in a triangular shape, with a purple sparkly top that my sister got for her first betta (this was when she was 10) and when Omelette was in there in the beginning, I decorated the top with adorable strawberry patterened tape trim, alone with lots of nail art nailpolish that looks absolutely adorable....since Ash the poor shrimp is being constantly forced into hiding by vicious Omelette, I'm considering planting the tank with itty bitty plants and a moss ball or two for Ash. Also the fake plants that are too sharp for Om's fins. Ash is a ghost shrimp.
The only problem is that my mom HATES it when I have another tank or cage to take care of. "Why not just LEAVE the shrimp in the betta tank?? It's just another pet to take care of and a tank and it's just more stress for you!!"
Anyway, I'll probably do the micro tank despite my mom's yelling because she rarely goes into my room, and I just cleaned it (Where am I??? LOL) so I can just say that I've had a separate tank for months....she'd never know!! hahah and if the tank doesn't work, I can just pop the shrimp and plants back into the old tank. Or if I have too much school work (homework usually lasts 6-7 hours daily at the high school where I'll be attending for the next 4 years) I'll put Ash back and make it a plain mini planted tank.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #9 
mattoboy

Never really re-searched shrimp... but do they need filters? I know the minimum tank space is like 1 gallon and I wanna get a few Ghost Shrimp.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #10 
Aus

I think it depends on the species. Wood shrimp will die without filter flow. I think a couple of rcs would be okay in a filterless tank - with perhaps a little airstone/regular water changes. As long as the water's left out for a day to stabilise the ph as they tend not to like fresh from the tap water and in a very small tank I can imagine it makes a bigger difference than in a big one.

Last edited by Aus; 07-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.