Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Question Tankmate for betta in 10 gallon tank?

I have a female betta in a 10 gallon tank. I am currently doing a fish-in cycle, but once my tank is fully cycled I think I'd like to get some tank mates... I'm looking for something..

-that will most likely get along with my betta (obviously)
-doesnt need airation (i have a filter but not an air pump)
-doesnt need a lot of hiding spots (I am a plant killer so i cant heavily plant my tank :P)

also how many of this fish can live with my betta?

I already have 2 snails... so i dont want more snails. lol
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 
CharStarr
New Member
 
CharStarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
In my 10 gallon I have Kudo my VT, Hip my ADF and two spotted nerite snails. I tried adding a couple of shrimp but Kudo thought I was giving him a snack *sigh*
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
In my 10 gallon I have Kudo my VT, Hip my ADF and two spotted nerite snails. I tried adding a couple of shrimp but Kudo thought I was giving him a snack *sigh*
Haha thank you. But I am afraid of frogs so that won't work lol.
Is there a minimum number of shrimp you can have?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
You could have a ton even during your Fish-In cycle. But, they're pretty fragile so I suggest after the cycle is done. You can have like 10-15 in a 10 gallon with a Betta. They produce little to no ammonia and they eat the uneaten foods. :) I had 4 before in my 3.5 gallon. Lebron ate them all under a week and a half. >,<
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You could have a ton even during your Fish-In cycle. But, they're pretty fragile so I suggest after the cycle is done. You can have like 10-15 in a 10 gallon with a Betta. They produce little to no ammonia and they eat the uneaten foods. :) I had 4 before in my 3.5 gallon. Lebron ate them all under a week and a half. >,<
Sounds great! Maybe I will get a couple once the cycling is done and see how Teeney reacts... O.o

Are they okay with being removed during water Changes? Because I would want to remove them so the new water doesn't shock them because of temperature change..

Do they need to be quarantined? And do they have a lot of babies? Or will Teeney take care of that?

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-31-2012 at 04:36 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
They should be. Be careful, they can jump. They should be quarantined. One of my 4 shrimp was preggers. O-O She got eaten and Lebron also ate the eggs with her. They only reproduce if there's a lot of cover and great water conditions. They do molt so don't mistake a shrimp with an exoskeleton. I has Ghost shrimp, but there are also Amano and Red Cherry.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
They should be. Be careful, they can jump. They should be quarantined. One of my 4 shrimp was preggers. O-O She got eaten and Lebron also ate the eggs with her. They only reproduce if there's a lot of cover and great water conditions. They do molt so don't mistake a shrimp with an exoskeleton. I has Ghost shrimp, but there are also Amano and Red Cherry.
EW. Molting... EW. Lol. Looks like my fish net will come in handy lol :)
I like the ghost shrimp best idk why lol.

What's the best thing to feed them? I have hikari algae wafers & Teeney's food... Which are total opposites since Teeney's food is "meaty"
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Well, they eat uneaten food. They eat anything, actually. They fight each other for food, lol. Feed them any type of fish food. Whether sinking pellets or wafers.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Well, they eat uneaten food. They eat anything, actually. They fight each other for food, lol. Feed them any type of fish food. Whether sinking pellets or wafers.
Yeah there is RARELY uneaten food with Teeney haha..
Okay sorry I keep asking questions, can shrimp overeat like bettas will?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
No, it's OK. ;) For shrimp, you don't have to worry. It's already hard to feed them. Lol Just feed whatever you think is just right. Just make sure Teeney doesn't eat their food! They can chase and torment Bettas. :P
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Gallon Betta tankmate Udra120 Betta Fish Compatibility 1 07-11-2012 10:41 PM
Betta Tankmate MDV39 Betta Fish Compatibility 1 06-27-2012 10:05 AM
20 Gallon equip, tankmate questions BarbieDragon Betta Fish Care 10 01-29-2012 05:04 PM
one betta in 5g hex tank, need tankmate damselfish Betta Fish Compatibility 4 10-31-2011 07:48 PM
Can I have a tankmate with fishy in my tank? dukie1346 Betta Fish Compatibility 3 03-31-2009 09:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.