Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

We all have different opinions...

Okay, so how to word this without being attacked. I find it frustrating when a member, especially a newbie, makes a post asking for help, and some people reply by giving their opinion on the size of that persons tank. I KNOW that we all differ on what is "enough" room, and of course in some cases i.e. vases etc. the advice is well called for. However, if the person is asking for help with a specific problem, not related to the size of the tank they are using, we should be as helpful as possible without telling them, they need to upgrade. Some people simply can't afford an upgrade, and others have their own ways of keeping their bettas. I am by no means implying bettas should not be kept in clean, warm spacious tanks, but I feel the focus should be on ways in which we can help that person with the issue they are asking advice for in the moment, instead of making them feel badly about their set up. Just a thought.

Last edited by Bettanewbie60; 07-31-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 
RainbowSocks

I agree. I know when someone fills out a the emergency form and says the tank size is less than a gallon, my first reaction is to tell them to get a bigger tank. I think a more proactive response would be to slide in a sentence about making sure they're changing the water enough to keep it clean. Especially because bettas can be kept in a smaller tank, as long as the ammonia doesn't build up.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

A lot of the time the issue a member has is in direct correlation to the size of their tank or the way in which their aquarium is maintained. There is no getting around the fact that a 1 gallon tank is generally going to be harder to heat and require more upkeep than a larger tank.

Many people with these size tanks I notice usually do not have test kits for anything but pH. I have no idea how they correctly gauge their water quality aside from the behaviour of their fish or getting it tested by a less than reliable outside source.

I have no problem with a betta being housed in a 1 gallon tank as long as water quality is maintained and the temperature is not only suitable for a tropical fish, but also consistent through both day and night.

It is only when these conditions are not being met that I will step in and politely advise the member in question that perhaps they should review the standard of care that they provide their fish. Attacking someone constantly is not at all constructive and there are quite a number of people who do that on here. I've lost track of how many threads I've seen where the OP has been continually flamed page after page. I mean how is that really going to help change anything?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSocks View Post
I agree. I know when someone fills out a the emergency form and says the tank size is less than a gallon, my first reaction is to tell them to get a bigger tank. I think a more proactive response would be to slide in a sentence about making sure they're changing the water enough to keep it clean. Especially because bettas can be kept in a smaller tank, as long as the ammonia doesn't build up.
My point exactly...I would have a hard time not mentioning it with anything less than a gallon, some would say 5g, but that won't help the person with their current problem. It would even be better to give advice about the problem they are posting about, and then maybe suggest larger digs in a private message so as not to embarrass them.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
A lot of the time the issue a member has is in direct correlation to the size of their tank or the way in which their aquarium is maintained. There is no getting around the fact that a 1 gallon tank is generally going to be harder to heat and require more upkeep than a larger tank.

Many people with these size tanks I notice usually do not have test kits for anything but pH. I have no idea how they correctly gauge their water quality aside from the behaviour of their fish or getting it tested by a less than reliable outside source.

I have no problem with a betta being housed in a 1 gallon tank as long as water quality is maintained and the temperature is not only suitable for a tropical fish, but also consistent through both day and night.

It is only when these conditions are not being met that I will step in and politely advise the member in question that perhaps they should review the standard of care that they provide their fish. Attacking someone constantly is not at all constructive and there are quite a number of people who do that on here. I've lost track of how many threads I've seen where the OP has been continually flamed page after page. I mean how is that really going to help change anything?
I totally agree if the problem obviously caused by the person's set up. I just see so many times when help could be given that has nothing to do with the size of the tank, and yet, it is brought up anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #6 
Enkil

Hmm... I both agree and disagree...

When I give advice, I don't only touch on tank size. I also give my opinion on how to make conditions better in other ways as well. If I think it may help, I mention it. I also let people know it is my opinion and to do with it what they will.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Hmm... I both agree and disagree...

When I give advice, I don't only touch on tank size. I also give my opinion on how to make conditions better in other ways as well. If I think it may help, I mention it. I also let people know it is my opinion and to do with it what they will.
I see what you are saying. I guess it just bothers me when someone posts for example, "Emergency betta jumped out of cup during water change"! And they fill in the form, and on the form it says 1g bowl, I think the focus should be on helping the fish, giving the owner good advice on how to treat etc., and save our opinions on tank size for another time. I just think it would be more encouraging to new betta owners.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

The problem is that people will harp on something over and over and no wonder people get mad. You can suggest something and if they don't take your advice then move on. I've heard people say they're only looking out for the fish 's welfare and that's why they are 'blunt '. We care about fish but we care about the person caring for the fish, too and that's something we've been criticized for in the past. How is being rude going to help a person take better care of their fish? All it's going to do is drive them to another forum looking for a answers to their questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The problem is that people will harp on something over and over and no wonder people get mad. You can suggest something and if they don't take your advice then move on. I've heard people say they're only looking out for the fish 's welfare and that's why they are 'blunt '. We care about fish but we care about the person caring for the fish, too and that's something we've been criticized for in the past. How is being rude going to help a person take better care of their fish? All it's going to do is drive them to another forum looking for a answers to their questions.
+1
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

There's two factors I have when it comes to my opinion; the needs of the fish, and being a good pet keeper.

A fish can live in a gallon bowl in a warm room with once weekly water changes and feedings a few times a week. But a good pet keeper will try to go above and beyond that.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote