Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
There's two factors I have when it comes to my opinion; the needs of the fish, and being a good pet keeper.

A fish can live in a gallon bowl in a warm room with once weekly water changes and feedings a few times a week. But a good pet keeper will try to go above and beyond that.
I agree with that also, but most of us started small, and had to learn and move up gradually. Again, I'm really just referring to a time and place to talk about tank set ups. If someone is panicked about their injured fish at 1am and really needs help for the fish, then we should try and address that issue, not the size of their tank. I am really referring to injuries. If I was talking about illnesses caused by water prams etc. then bringing up tank size would be appropriate. But then again, we all have our own opinions about what is minimum etc. I'm just saying address the issue they are asking about, and give them time to learn. Work with what they have, not with what they don't have yet.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I see what your saying. Take care of the immediate problem then the rest can be dealt with later.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I see what your saying. Take care of the immediate problem then the rest can be dealt with later.
Yes, exactly. It would be encouraging, and lead to more learning instead of discouragement by pointing out what they are doing wrong.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Right. How about we point out what they're doing right , then help them with the wrong stuff.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #15 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Right. How about we point out what they're doing right , then help them with the wrong stuff.
Yes! Encouraging people first leads them to be more open to suggestions to improve later on. Handle the fish keepers with compassion, and they will become compassionate keepers of their fish.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #16 
Desstai

I agree. Yes, I think that small tank size is an issue, but the more important issue at hand is getting them the help they need. Bettas can be kept in smaller containers so I think stating what needs to be done in their situation is better than stating that they need to go out and buy a new tank as the only solution.

I don't know... maybe I'm bitter because I've had a LOT of trouble (not on this site yet) with people saying that I abuse my fish because they are in 2 gallon tanks and not 5 gallon tanks >_>; and my fish aren't even sick. I just told someone my tank sizes and the hate flame rained down from the sky......
Desstai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had the exact thing happen to me. The name of the forum starts with a u. Lol. One of their mods told me I was abusing my fish because they were in less than 5 gallons.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #18 
LionCalie

I do not see a problem in a member answering the question and then politely suggesting they try to upgrade the size of the tank. Like you said, there are a lot of differing opinions, and there is nothing wrong with that. How we express them if what matters. I'm sure most of us are guilty of losing patience or coming on too strong sometimes.

Something that stands out in my mind; this is a Betta fish care forum. So naturally aspects of betta fish care will be discussed and debated. It is all about being understanding and respectful of other opinions but also realizing you cannot make anyone take your own.

Regarding the other forum that said you were abusing your fish for not being in a 5 gallon: I know which one you are talking about, it is actually the first fish forum I ever joined. I can guarantee they are not that way anymore. I've seen you mention it a few times. I don't think it is fair to hold one discretion with a Mod against them forever. Just my 2 cents though.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's just that that kind of attitude turns people off and makes them not want to go back. I totally agree with you about being respectful of other people's opinions and I definitely agree about losing patience. Lol. I think we're all guilty of that.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
It's just that that kind of attitude turns people off and makes them not want to go back. I totally agree with you about being respectful of other people's opinions and I definitely agree about losing patience. Lol. I think we're all guilty of that.

+1
It's more important to educate people I think and leave themselves to judge and do things their own way based on that information...
what I usually cant stand is personal opinion being strutted around as fact with no factual basis :/ that's when arguments really begin

And totally derailing, but dq, what tail type is the guy in your profile picture?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote