Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #1 
914joe

Question Betta scoop ?

I have had my betta Sportster less than a week, and although i was able to remove him from the bowl with cup he came in,i tried to remove him from his new 2 1/2 gallon tank to clean it , he is to fast and i am afraid i might hurt him or damage his fins.I did a search online and read about something called a betta scoop and i also saw a video of one on youtube.I did a search to buy one and came across this one in the link from deep blue,it says its a betta scoop ,does anyone here now if this a true betta scoop or just a regular net.http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Bett...ds=betta+scoop
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #2 
FishyFishy89

It's just a small fish net.
Any LPS would have an extra small fish net.

also, you could use the cup he came in. Put it inside his tank on it's side, 1/4 of it empty. Place a piece of food in the back of the cup. When he goes in and eats the food upright the cup and take him out.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #3 
vilmarisv

Looks like a regular net.
I use a 1/4 SS measuring cup because I have a lot of fish and I can clean easily.
The brine shrimp nets are very smooth and will not damage his fins.
These are used by Thai breeders: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Tha...item5d29822beb
Always wondered how good they are.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #4 
914joe

Thanks FishyFishy89 for those tips ,one way or another he is coming out sometime tomorrow ,i only have an ammonia test kit ,and it was high that's why i was trying to remove him.I decided to leave him in there and just change half his water ,it brought the ammonia down to 0.50, at least that's what it looks like to me on that card that came with the drops .
Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #5 
914joe

Yes Vilmarisiv I also read somewhere about using brine shrimp nets,i will see if i can find one in a local pet store thanks .The betta scoops seem to only be available from Thailand,here is a youtube clip of one being used if any one is interested .
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #6 
FishyFishy89

What are your tank specs?
What percentage of water changes and how often are you doing them?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #7 
914joe

It's a 2.5 gallon 12"L X 6"W X 8"H aqueon tank,He was transferd here from a bowl,he has been in the 2.5 tank for about 3 or 4 days i checked the water and it had high ammonia today, so i removed half a little while ago and it brought down to 0.50.I added a stone ornament a couple of days ago and i did rinse it before adding it to the tank ,i think that stone made the water cloudy,is this bad for him ,its not so cloudy that you can't see just a little .

Last edited by 914joe; 07-30-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

how high was your ammonia when you checked? I do recommend changing as much as possible for now whilst leavin him enough room to swim in. you need atleat a 100% water change every week. you will find that the 0.5ppm will escalate pretty fast. this can be remedied only by a larger water change :)

for now try to take out as much water as you can whilst leaving him an inch or so to swim in. then pour in new water. then repeat :) you can try to scoop him out in the cup he came in, or another cup to shoo him into the other

edit: I actually have the exact same tank :D and you can just see tiny Shiro in this one. I net her out with the brine shrimp net.

Last edited by ao; 07-30-2012 at 03:52 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #9 
914joe

Thanks for the advice aokashi,i will definitely take care of it tomorrow. If i still find it difficult to remove him i will do as you said and leave just enough for him to swim in .The Ammonia was 2.0 and it seems to have went down to 0.50 after i changed about 50 percent .
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #10 
914joe

Yes that is the same tank ,really nice the way you set it up with live plants.How do you clean the bottom of tank with sand ,i have seen videos with a vacuum and grave but not sand.Sorry if that is a stupid question i am new at this ,the reason i am asking i just purchased a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank for him and it will take awhile for me to figure out all about cycling and what look i want, i plan to keep him in this 2.5 tank for a while until i can get the other tank cycled .I like the look of sand but i don't know witch is easier for a beginner sand or gravel.