Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 
mamanemeth1

Exclamation Does my Patriot have bloat??!!

I'm really freaking out. Some please let me know! Thank you!
Attached Images

mamanemeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

His tummy looks a little bloated. How much have you been feeding he and what does he eat and how much including treats like bloodworms ? Try not to panic if he is bloated that us easy treatable.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 
mamanemeth1

How do I treat it?! The only thing he likes to eat is dried shrimp. So I'm guessing that's the problem? I'm a horrible fish owner.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah thats more for treat then real good food for him like the Betta pellets. He is acting okay and being his normal self ? You could not feed him for a couple of days and see if the bloat starts to go away or add some epsom salt to his water. What size tank is he is ? I am new here too and also to having a Betta, but there is a sticky here somewhere with information you need to fill out to all the questions that need to be asked so people can help you better. Hold on let me see if I can find it and post it here for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #5 
Seki

It's okay, don't panic. Bloat is simple, and there are a couple things you can do. First, fast him for a day or two to see if that helps him out at all. If he is bloated, he doesn't need anymore food going in. Second, you can try getting him to flare. I don't know why, but they often poop when they flare, which will help matters. Third, if you are really worried and Patriot remains bloated for a couple days, you can try using an epsom salt treatment. 1 tsp. per gallon, premix it with a bit of tank water so it is completely dissolved before you put it in there. But the first thing I would try would be just fasting him for a day or two.

It might be worth it to try getting him a bit more varied diet. Pellets can be good if they are a good brand... I don't think he will get all the necessary nutrition from the shrimp alone.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #6 
mamanemeth1

Awe man, and I fed him some before I asked this. :/ Ugghh. For right now he's in a 1 gal but I seriously take such good care of it and him. I'll see about holding off for a little bit if that's safe.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

If you can fill the above form out it would help so much better for people to help your Betta. I have never had a problem with bloat and only had my first Betta just over a couple of months now so not sure how much Espon salt to each gallon to add so wait for someone else to come along that knows for sure. I feed my Betta New Life Specturm Betta pellets and one of the best ones out on the market right now plus they are extra small and Perseus just loves them. He gets three in the mornings and three at night which so far is working for him and no bloating.

Any dried items like shrimp and bloodworms are only for treats they are like giving child candy, Betta love them but only should be given once or twice a week. Domt feel bad this is why there is a forum so people can get information they need for the proper care of Betta. You can also use the search link up top of the forum and find subjects or answers to your questions. I am sure your little guy will feel better when he gets over the bloat and starts to eat some good pellets each day and remember no over feeding most of the time that is what causes bloat.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #9 
mamanemeth1

I caught my mom this weekend feeding him more than he should've been fed cause she has NO idea of the proper feedings for fish. And even after I asked her to please not feed him and let me do it, she still kept doing it. Soo that can be the problem too. I hope this goes away. :/
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #10 
mamanemeth1

And thank you both by the way!