Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 
eaturbyfill

Exclamation Betta Heater: I'm scared.

Today, I bought my Betta, Percy, a heater. He's my first fish, so I've owned him for a while before I knew much about fish. He was about a year when I bought him, and has lived a year in my care without a heater-- because I didn't know.

When I got home, I started looking at reviews for the heater and some say it overheated a tank to 90F! I want my baby to be comfortable, but I can't risk anything happening to him, either. Please help. It's an Aqueon mini heater made for up to 5g, and he is in a 3g half moon.

I'm afraid to leave it on overnight.. during the day, (he sits right next to my spot) I can keep an eye on him easily. What should I do??
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #2 
tanseattle

I think you should use like 7-15 watts heater for small tank. I had 25W, and it can heat 10 gal to really warm during summer and ok during winter. If it is cheap enough keep the one you had and buy 7-15W heater for 3 gal. If is cheap in store buy it; if not, online is cheaper; ask your parents to buy for you online (cheaper).

Personally, I only use it during winter. This summer I did not use heater. Seattle is cold this summer (only 3 days above 80). Today it is about 70F.

I have 20 fish. What I do is put them in jars in winter and put them in a long but short tub, fill the tub with water, and I heat the tub. The jars are small but that is the only thing that I can care and keep all of them warm during winter. Fish share the heat from the tub and keep warm during winter.

Last edited by tanseattle; 07-31-2012 at 11:31 PM.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #3 
chibifish

I recommend an "Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini." I have it in my 2.5 gallon and I really like it. It's adjustable so you set it to a certain temperature and it doesn't go over. So, on mine, I have it set so that when it gets below 78 degrees it goes on until it reaches 78 degrees again.

This one is a mini, so it doesn't have a thermometer or anything (I'm gussing you already have one anyways ), you just turn the top until it turns on at the right temperature. If that makes sense.

It's available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi.../dp/B00106X8QG for $16.52.

I would just check out the adjustable ones since you control the temperature yourself!

Last edited by chibifish; 08-01-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #4 
eaturbyfill

Hmm. I've been looking at different heaters since I posted (definitely taking this one back). I have it narrowed down to the Penn Plax Cascade and that one. I think I might go with the Cascade, but that's just because the Elite has a couple reviews of it exploding. I'm sure that's a really low probability, but I get paranoid. xD
Edit: Hit my thousandth post! :D
Thank you for the advice. The people here are so helpful.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #5 
deso

Woops, saw this thread a bit late, but I can say that the Hydor Theo adjustable heaters are perfect for smaller tanks. I have a 50 watt in my 2 gallon tank and have never had overheating problems. However, I had to spend a day or so watching the heater when I first got it, because it's been holding the tank at a steady 79 - 80 degrees for a month and a half now, but it is actually set to 75 on the dial.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub.../dp/B0006JLPG8
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #6 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Woops, saw this thread a bit late, but I can say that the Hydor Theo adjustable heaters are perfect for smaller tanks. I have a 50 watt in my 2 gallon tank and have never had overheating problems. However, I had to spend a day or so watching the heater when I first got it, because it's been holding the tank at a steady 79 - 80 degrees for a month and a half now, but it is actually set to 75 on the dial.

Amazon.com: Hydor THEO Submersible Aquarium Heater 25W UL: Pet Supplies
Thank you. If I'm not satisfied with the Cascade, I'll look at this one and the Elite. (:
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #7 
vP H O T O Nv

Heaters are ehh to me honestly. I got one for my 10 gal, and will invest in a couple more before winter hits. I don't really fear it though my room will sadly never go below 75 degrees ( nice in the winter sucks for summer) . I just got one of those Tetra submersible heaters. It turns on when the temperature is at or below below 76* F (never lower then 74* and will raise it up to 78*F degrees max) 76* is not a bad temp, not perfect, can be seen as semi critical, but at least they won't die unless you take them from 82*-84* and drop them in 74* water.

So in basics, I would get one that will keep the water at a certain temp 78 is prefered 76 works make sure it's only + or - about 2 degrees though.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #8 
Kenny G

I would like to offer suggestions. First I would get a thermometer and put in the tank. This will tell you if its overheating your tank water or not. If you really want to be on the safe side plug the heater into a timer where you can have it turn on and off after a couple of hours. I had that very same heater by Aqueon and it never overheated my tank. You can look at reviews for heaters all day and night and drive yourself crazy. All heaters get mixed reviews from people. Depending on where you live and your room temperature you might not even need to have the heater on during the day in the summer months.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 
MSG

I don't know what everyone else's experience is with Penn Plax products, but I look at them more of the bottom of the spectrum.

If their heaters are anything like their other products you're probably going to have to buy ANOTHER heater in a month or two after it breaks.

I never even knew they made heaters till I saw this post.

I would recommend the Visi-Therm or the Hydor. I own both of them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote