Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 
Sivan

Aquarium-Proofing Household Items

Hello hello.

I made a thread like this a while back but I made it too general and decided to narrow my ideas down a bit. I want to make a specific theme for my 5 gallon tank but the decorations for it do not exist. Specifically, I want to turn my natural-themed tank into a natural-themed tank with Pokemon lurking about instead of traditional statues. I thought this would be fun because despite being an adult in graduate school, I am still a child at heart and there are many Pokemon that look like various underwater creatures such as starfish, sharks, fish, eels, etc.

However, since no company makes Pokemon aquarium items, I have wondered about aquarium-proofing objects. I know that various paints used by toy companies can eventually leak into the water and harm the inhabitants but I was wondering if there is a special coating of some kind of aquarium-safe-protection available. I would love to add these objects into my tank but will not ricks harming my fish. I know there are water-proof toys of Pokemon but I do doubt that they are aquarium-safe.

Any ideas?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Yes. Look for Krylon Fusion. I paint my betta logs with that to eliminate flaking and give them a natural color.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Yes. Look for Krylon Fusion. I paint my betta logs with that to eliminate flaking and give them a natural color.
Ok, now I'm intrigued!! Is it aquarium safe? Can you also show a pic of the finished product? I'm tired of my betta logs' paint coming off.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I don't have suggestions other than the aquarium silicon, but I can't imagine that would look good. I just wanted to say that your theme idea sounds amazing!!! Lapras is my favorite Pokemon and I might have to sneak one into my tank if I can.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
Sivan

Thanks KoiMadien. I wanted to set in a bunch of starmie, maybe a squirtle, and Lapras IS one of my favorites... I just thought it would be fun to have animal-like Pokemon in a naturalist setting.

Is the seal clear?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote