Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #1 
CrypticDelirium

Talking What would you call this color blue? Dubbed "platinum blue"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's label is "Platinum blue" and I can't find genetics to save my life as I'm not sure if it would react as steel blue, royal blue?

I call it ICE DRAGON MUHAHA. <3

It's also a solid color throughout body, fins, perfect full mask, etc. so mayhaps very dominant like steel?

I'm wondering, would this color blue be dominant over a white platinum, yellow gold, or black? And what of other blues, would it act as steel, or royal? I'm utterly lost but memorized, and would love to use this fish as one of my first breeders, but CERTAINLY not until I understand his genetics, which is unfortunately hard to do.

I'm desperate to line his EXACT color, and pair with a female with a good anal fin, but what color would be the least dominant towards him? I'd like to use a dragon as well, as he is though it doesn't show well so magnified from a teensy pic. Maybe a platinum female?

I've seen everything from powdered blue to dark steel and he just doesn't match any of them.

I'd give a full pic, as this one does him no justice but that would give away a surprise I'm saving for a bit. (Truly, the color is striking and I'm one of the weirdos who go through 87 million betta pics and find maybe two I like)

Thank you guys ever so much and I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious as I feel it's possible, I just want to make sure I'm on point with any breeding pairing so each and every fry has the best chance of being beauitaful, show quality perfection that are stars and no one would EVER stick in a cup somewhere. I feel like they're my babies to be and love them already, so thank you ever so much for any info you can provide!! ^_^
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 
VictorP

You should just breed him to a full mask platinum female. Blue spawns come out with all the blue colours just more than a certain colour.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I think "platinum blue" simply means it's from a platinum x blue spawn/line. It's in fact a lighter shade of blue shown in dragon lines - not steel blue but too light to be called royal blue..... IME, Sometimes blue dragons change into turquoise dragon when older. But these lighter blue stay as they are.... Just the few experiences I've had with them.

I don't know it's exact genetic code since I have never read anything about dragon genetic make ups. But I do know blue is the most recessive of all iridescence colors. Cross breeding them may not produce much of their color - not solid blue anyway. Even crossing to a more recessive black will not produce more of them.

IMO if he is a solid blue, then breed him to another solid irid dragon. You will at least keep them solid, which is kind of rare since people often mix breed to create new colors/patterns..... but that's just me. Mixing him with a platinum (or any metallic color) will somewhat ruin the drg feature which needs to be enhanced in further breeding.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 
CrypticDelirium

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I think "platinum blue" simply means it's from a platinum x blue spawn/line. It's in fact a lighter shade of blue shown in dragon lines - not steel blue but too light to be called royal blue..... IME, Sometimes blue dragons change into turquoise dragon when older. But these lighter blue stay as they are.... Just the few experiences I've had with them.

I don't know it's exact genetic code since I have never read anything about dragon genetic make ups. But I do know blue is the most recessive of all iridescence colors. Cross breeding them may not produce much of their color - not solid blue anyway. Even crossing to a more recessive black will not produce more of them.

IMO if he is a solid blue, then breed him to another solid irid dragon. You will at least keep them solid, which is kind of rare since people often mix breed to create new colors/patterns..... but that's just me. Mixing him with a platinum (or any metallic color) will somewhat ruin the drg feature which needs to be enhanced in further breeding.
Thank you SO much! Just what I needed to know, and talked to the breeder a bit and found a sibling female who is almost his exact color! It will be hard later as I won't line breed long, (maybe outcross to yellow if I have to, but it might kill the dragon for a few generations, eegh, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.) But for now it seems too perfect to be true! I LOVE this color and it would be a shame to lose such perfect masking, he's is the only "perfect" scaled dragon I've ever seen, until her too! No imperfections and solid tip to tail, literally not one missing "dragon scale". I'm stoked! ^_^ I've also noticed most blue dragons in general seem to have better scaling/masking than other types of dragon. Wonder why?
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Just lucky I guess.

I've seen perfect bicolor dragons - light body with what ever colored fin. But I have never seen a perfect solid green dragon. They always either have some red, yellow, or black. And I have never seen a steel blue drgn. The only solid irid color I've seen is the blue. But I know they exist.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote