Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #1 
LaxGirl5

Unhappy 2 fighting female bettas?

The lady at petsmart told me that the males are the only ones who fight, but last night while I was asleep Cleopatra ate part of Foxy's tail. I put a divider in between them, but I was wondering if this was common between females or if they'll ever be able to be together again? I'm a first-time fish owner so I really need to educated!
LaxGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Unfortunately this is a very common misconception; Female bettas can be just as agressive, if not more so in certain cases, as males. I'm so sorry you were miss-led and it ended up causing one of your new fishy friends harm; its such a shame pet store employees aren't educated properly....

Anywho....welcome to the forum and wonderful world of Betta keeping :) Though you may have had a bit of a rocky start it seems, at least it was just minimal damage that should heal with time and clean, warm water. ;)

Now, a little info on females....
It is true that females can be kept together in some cases, they are called Female Betta Sororities and involve groups of 4-5+ females in a very heavily planted/decorated tank of 10+ gallons; this is not recommended for beginners because even when done perfectly it is still very risky for a variety of reasons.
HOWEVER, you most certainly can keep both your girls in a divided tank together without any problems. :)

I hope this helps and answers your question....if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! Also, take a look around the site and read over some of the stickys in the Betta care section; theres LOTS of helpful info there ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
LaxGirl5

Thank you so much! You're so helpful
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Your very welcome, glad to help. ^-^
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #5 
kfryman

DragonFish summed it up perfectly.

This is why I say never listen to Petstore employees, unless it is like an aquarium store, they don't know anything but myths, they say things and then the customer ends up with deaths or many problems. Forums can be a good way to learn things, but you also need to be careful as some forums have bitter people. Luckily this forum rarely gets many fights and are often taken care of by our wonderful mods.

If you ever get into keeping other fish, there another site called tropicalfishkeeping.com, it is the sister site of this one, it uses the same login and password as this one.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 
LaxGirl5

Thanks I will make sure to check here or tropical fish before!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 
bettasareawesome

Females can be just as agressive as males but usually you should have more than 2 females in a tank "unless it's divided" that way the nipping will be more spread out between all the bettas
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female aggression, fighting, two females