Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 
underdebate

Treatment with Maracyn I/II?

Hi all. I believe I might've caught one of my girls in the early stages of dropsy; she's been in a hospital tank for two days now, and has been lethargic and lacking an appetite completely. Last night, while moving her from a holding cup into fresh water by cupping her in my hands, I noticed her body felt more 'spiky' than a normal betta's. I immediately thought it might be dropsy and checked her body for pineconing, but couldn't see any. Regardless, I made plans to treat her with epsom salts and medication the next morning.

When I woke up this morning, I checked her over and noticed she'd begun pineconing very, very slightly-- it's only visible at certain angles, but it's there, so I believe I've caught the disease at an early stage.

HOWEVER. I'm having a bit of a problem with my Maracyn. I intend to treat her with both Maracyns, as well as epsom salt, but I currently only have her in a 1 gallon hospital tank-- and each 0.6g packet is designed to be dumped into 10 gallons of water. I do not currently have ten gallons of water free; heck, I don't even have five gallons free.

Does anyone have experience treating with Maracyn? How do you normally do it?
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #2 
Maura

I usually dump it all out onto a piece of paper and divide it, then bag and label each treatment separately.

10 gal = 1 packet
5 gal = 1/2 packet
2.5 gal = 1/4 packet
1.25 gal = 1/8 packet
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Since she's in a gallon hospital tank, that makes dosing pretty easy.

Get a gallon jug and mix Maracyn in it (Maracyn 2 has different instruction, so another gallon jug will be useful for that one too).

Since that packet treats 10 gallons, but will be in 1 gallon of water it will be super concentrated. you'll only have to use 1/10 of the medicated water with her normal water too.

16 cups are in 1 gallon, so use 1.5 cups per water change of the regular Maracyn and Maracyn 2(As directed).

For the epsom salt, I would just mix that every day to be sure she is getting the correct amount of it with each water change.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4 
underdebate

Thanks for the tips-- I think I'm going to lose this one, sadly, but I'll keep her on the medication for as long as I can.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Unfotunately, if it is dropsy, she probably won't make it. If she does, she'll probably keep getting it.

I hope she makes it through and doesn't suffer through it again though.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote