Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #1 
sandy bornhauser

Frodo's face has a funky scaley color

We have an office beta his name is "Frodo". His tank is about 1 1/2 gallons, but we put 1 gallon of spring water. Lately his face has a silver color to his scales. He is a red beta with some purple. We change his water about every week to a week and a half. We clean the rocks he has a real pothos plant in his tank which he loves to sleep on the leaves close to the top of the water. He gets beta food and we tried the worms, but he doesn't like those. We just want to know if the color on his face is normal?
sandy bornhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #2 
bettababy

That would be difficult to say without a picture... can you please post one?
This description could mean 1 of a bunch of things, and without the pic, we'd only be guessing, which isn't something we like to do here.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 
pianoxlove64

theres no photo :( but LUVIN the name :D
pianoxlove64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

Without a pic there isn't much we can do. Red bettas do tend to have a bit of silverish/gray scaling along their jawline so I wouldn't stress if that is what you are seeing...

Just basic care info for long term health and disease prevention:
1. 2.5 gals require one 50% and one 100% water change per week
2. Bettas are tropical fish and require temps of 78*F-82*F. Room temp is not ok long term and will repress his immune system leading to disease. Heaters can be purchased for small tanks.
3. Feed a varied diet that includes frozen and/or live foods such as blood worms, glassworms, brine shrimp, wingless fruit flies and mosquito larva. A varied diet maintains a strong immune system.
4. Quarantine new plants/fish (although a 2.5 gal can't have any other animals)
Doing these 4 things will lessen the likelihood that your boy gets sick. Good luck with him! If you can get a pic we will do our best to diagnose him for you :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Hi sandy and welcome to the forum.

A lot of red bettas have silver face coloring so Frodo's coloring could be completely natural. However, I'm just a little concerned that they might be ammonia burns because his water isn't changed quite as frequently as it should be. In what is basically a 1 gallon tank because you only put 1 gallon in, you need to change 50-100% of the water every other day for him to stay healthy. Bettas excrete ammonia through their gills as part of their waste. Only problem is ammonia is highly toxic to them so in a small volume of water, that ammonia builds up really fast and begins to burn them. If left untreated, these burns could lead to bacterial infections. The only way to keep the ammonia level down is to change the water frequently.

Is Frodo acting any differently? Is he acting lethargic and does he stay at the bottom a lot? Does he look bloated in any way? Has he stopped eating?

If you could answer those questions, that would really help us tell if Frodo's silvery cheeks are normal or a sign of illness.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

I really misread that, I though they had a 2.5 gal... As Sakura advised, 1 gal tanks require 50-100% water changes every other day minimum. It is possible that he has ammonia burns or an infection... Can you fill out the form at the top of the disease section and include a photo? Has his behavior changes at all?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

Isn't this thread super old? 2008! XD
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Whaaaaa? But when I clicked on it, it was up at the top of the Emergency section like it was new and the last post had been bettababy . . .
Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #9 
fightergirl2710

Really? I thought maybe piano love might have bumped it up unknowingly. :P
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Fighter, do you get the feeling I'm not very observant? *shakes head* Yeah, looks like pianolove and DarkMoon both got here before me . . . uhm, it was late and I was probably sleepy is my excuse . . . uhm . . . leaving this thread now, may it be buried forever in the archives where this embarrassment shall never be seen again.