Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyjames View Post
How is the Hydor heater powered? Do I need to plug it in? Batteries? Bulbs?
You plug it into the wall. I'm not too sure how a heater works, but I imagine it works like any other adjustable heater.

I think the second one is my favorite. I know the first one is longer, but it doesn't have a hood which are really a necessity. Betta are jumpers and need hoods. I've had a few betta jump out on me, but I've never lost one.

As for the filter, I personally wouldn't use it. More than likely it will be too strong for your betta and will push him around.

As for decor, you can't go wrong with live plants. They will help keep the water a little cleaner and you don't have to worry about them tearing your betta's fins. Java fern and anubias would be best for you as they don't need special lights. Other than live plants, make sure any decor your get is smooth and doesn't have rough edges that can tear fins. You've got the right attitude. Make your tank the envy of the floor!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #12 
XizorGetspeed

First tank it is... I hope they have it in stock locally rather than online.

So no to the snail eh?

I kinda was getting used to the idea of having a snail in there too.

Fish was going to be Director, Human Resources and the snail was to be Director, Marketing.
XizorGetspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 
Rubyjames

@thekoimaiden

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...pr_product_top

This picture doesn't appear to have a plug?
This may sound like a silly question, however my apartment has limited sockets (which is very unfortunate if the heater requires one.)
Rubyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #14 
toad

Hello!

Koi Maiden gave you great advice, and I have nothing to add, except that I like the 2nd tank you posted in your list of possibilities. I have one very much like that, and I think it's very pretty all set up and planted.

Welcome to the forum; good luck with your new buddy!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by XizorGetspeed View Post
So no to the snail eh?

Fish was going to be Director, Human Resources and the snail was to be Director, Marketing.
Maybe not a mystery snail as they get kinda large and have a large bio-load, but maybe a nerite snail. If I remember correctly they stay pretty small. Or you could get shrimp! They have a much smaller bioload and you could have more than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyjames View Post
@thekoimaiden

Amazon.com: Hydor THEO Submersible Aquarium Heater 25W UL: Pet Supplies

This picture doesn't appear to have a plug?
This may sound like a silly question, however my apartment has limited sockets (which is very unfortunate if the heater requires one.)
It doesn't show a plug, but it does show a cord that goes to a plug. Look in the upper righthand corner of the image. My fish tanks use three plugs per tank. I find it helps to get an surge protector to give me a few extra plugs and protect my equipment.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #16 
Rubyjames

@thekoimaiden:

Thanks for your help, and the idea to use a surge protector. I found one hidden in a few old hardware boxes in my apartment and it works works like a charm!
Rubyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 
MSG

Marineland® 3-gallon Crescent Aquarium hands down, but
Marineland® 5-gallon Crescent Aquarium is an extra $10.

Totally up to you.

The rest of the tanks, bleh....

I do have the tetra tank though. I just cleaned it last night after seeing your post.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #18 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by XizorGetspeed View Post

LOL
But yeah, I've been advised that under 5 gallons you shouldn't give your betta any tank mates. I'm getting a 5 gallon tank cycled for my betta and a nerite snail. I bet you could go with a 5 gallon... I have the 5 gallon Mini Bow and it's not huge. I think you could have it on your desk. The back of it is flat so you could have it against the wall if your desk is against a wall.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #19 
Aus

Look into the Dymax IQ5. It's a neat cube that comes with inbuilt filter & a LED light - not sure about the heater, I had to purchase the appropriate model (dymax 25 w ) separately.

I love these tanks. I think the 1-gallonish IQ3 a bit small for a fish. Bettas are at thier best when they can swim about.. the IQ5 takes up very little more room at foortprint and provides 2 gallons more water.

The spaces for filter and heater are hidden behind a false wall, you can buy a lid (though mine came with one..) and it looks great when scaped.

Take a look at the IQ5 link in my sig. If you haven't much room on your desk, this could be a great solution and alternate to a cold little bowl your fish will inevitably and untimely perish in..

Of course, you'll need to do more than once a week water changes on a small tank. If you really cannot spare that time or energy, consider keeping shrimps instead. They're cute, and have a lower bioload..

Last edited by Aus; 08-02-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #20 
JackisLost

to do quick water changes at work, i think you should try this method.
get about 2 feet of air line hose, cut two small holes in a gatorade bottle, stick the tube in one hole. squeeze the bottle and cover place thumb over 2nd hole to start a siphon. make sure the bottle is lower than the tank.
you don't have to remove the fish but you can't do 100% water changes, maybe 90% but that should be enough.
i usually do this method but with a 1gallon water bottle
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote