Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #11 
lelei

Hello and Welcome to the forum, this is the best place for all new betta owners to get some of the best advice, I have learned so much in the past couple of months or so..and having 3 bettas now, 2 of which are a rescue, I can assure you, with proper diet, and bigger tank, you will have a healthy, happy, thriving betta, I moved my first betta Sammy from a Petco bowl, to a Krittr Keeper almost 2 gallon size, to a 3 gallon and now resides in his own 5 gallon tank, he is growing, becoming more colorful, and very active, and energetic.
Always keep a heater in a tank, it provides your betta the heat they need also to stay healthy, when they are cold, they clamp up, and get very lethargic, and will start to get sick, quickly..you don't want that..so get a bigger tank, and a heater and a thermometer to watch the temp and feed a quality pellet, such as Omega One, or Hakari Gold, micro pellets, or New Life Spectrum, for optimum health.. Hope this all helps, and hope to see some pix of your new family member:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #12 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaohwell View Post
Thanks :) It has a lid, and as for heaters, are they big or expensive?

For both of my fishy's tanks I use the Tetra 2-10gal size at Petco, or Petsmart.. and it's preset to the 78 degree temp your fishy's need, but again you will need a 2 gal or 3 gal for it, so it won't overheat..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #13 
Sundancex

I would really recommend upgrading to a bigger tank. Usually a stock 5-10 gal glass tank isn't terribly expensive and it will be MUCH easier to heat safely. If you go with a 10 gal you could even do a small community.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #14 
jessicaohwell

Thank you, but as I said before, I can't get a bigger tank, I've tried to think about it, but there's no way I can afford to get a new one. And as for the 25w adjustable heater, will that do good in my 1 gallon?
jessicaohwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, it will. Just check the temperature so you know the tank won't overheat. You don't want fish sticks do you?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #16 
jessicaohwell

:P No I do not, and the correct temperature is 78 F right?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Yep. 78F-80F is the best range for Bettas IMO.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #18 
kjwarren103

The only suggestions I have that weren't mentioned are to keep a little variety in his diet. I feed my betta Spidey pellets, which were a dollar and which I crush up for him, and freeze dried blood worms, which were 4 dollars. Don't feed the items like worms and brine shrimp though very often... maybe once a week or so. It's just to keep your betta from getting bored with his food and to give him a balanced diet. But don't be surprised if he doesn't eat the pellets for a day or so after trying the treats ;)

Also, just try to make sure you have a little place for him to hide and sleep in, and maybe a plant or two. He will definitely appreciate it :)
kjwarren103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #19 
jessicaohwell

Ok I have two plastic plants he likes a lot, and is it normal for him to eat a piece then spit it back out? I crushed them up because he wasn't touching them, now he's eating the small ones, then spitting them out again.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #20 
kjwarren103

Hmm he may just not be used to his pellets. Bettas are picky eaters. Just keep crushing them so that they're pretty small, feed them one little piece at a time (so that they don't dirty the tank too much), and eventually he will probably eat.

My betta didn't eat for about four days when I got him. He at a little bit when they were crushed up, but on the fifth to sixth day, he all of a sudden just started eating as much as he could. Lol he's gonna have to learn to get used to them, and when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat. Don't worry about him starving himself. From what I've heard, bettas can last two weeks without food
kjwarren103 is offline   Reply With Quote