Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 
Oiseau

Girls with sbd, or worse?

Okay, so I have two female betta in a 5.5g tank. I've had them both since December and they were both quarantined for a month before I put them together. Saria (black with red/blue fins) has had swim bladder issues since I bought her. I recently went away for a weekend (Friday night to Sunday evening) and when I came back, both Babydoll and Saria looked terrible. It seems like Babydoll has developed a swim bladder issue and Saria's has gotten worse. I've tried 100% water changes and epsom salts, but so far nothing has helped. :c I'm getting worried.

Since it's hard to get pictures of them swimming, I've also recorded a video: here

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5g
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just the two females

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, three times a day. Fast on Sunday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week / once a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% / 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: >0.25ppm
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: 6.5 - 7
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, can't swim properly. Babydoll is less interested in food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week and a half ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1tbsp epsom salt per gallon of water. I attempted fasting them both for 2 days. I also tried feeding them frozen bloodworms instead of pellets. 100% water changes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Saria does - she has perpetual swim bladder issues that don't normally interfere with her behaviour. Babydoll does not.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. Bought them both in December.

*I do realize my tank is not very well planted. Most of my plants died when I went on vacation a couple months ago, but I am working on it with a student budget. c:*
Attached Images

Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #2 
lvandert

Ok first off unless the 5 gal is divided you can't have two girls in there by themselves. Now you water changes need to be more for a 2.5 rather than a 5 which should be 1 50% and 1 100% every week. As for your disease how long did you give the epsom salt a try
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 
Oiseau

Ah, really? I had it divided up until last week. I suppose I'll have to put their divider back in then.

Is it absolutely necessary to do a 100% every week? They stress Saria out quite a bit and I don't have problems with my ammonia.

Epsom salt has been every day since I came back. Approx 10 days now.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 
lvandert

Yeah you need to keep them divided. Girls cam be kept in groups of more than 4, but not in that small of a tank. Your tank doesn't have a filter and is only 2.5 gallon between the two fish. They are necessary. You can siphon water out and then siphon water back in to be less stress full (minding the temperature). Either way salt can only be dosed for 10 days before it starts to cause issues. 1 tbsp is a bit much, it should start at 1 tsp and work up to 3 tsp. You might have to cut back on the feedings. Generally we (as most people on this site) feed 2 pellets twice a day. Are they pineconed at all?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 
Oiseau

I'll try siphoning instead. Hopefully it doesn't bother her as much.

I've been getting misinformation then. I read to start at 1tbsp / gallon and increase from there. I'll do another 100% tomorrow without salts.

Nope, no pineconing and their poop, from what I can see of it, looks fine. I'll try feeding them less and see if that helps. Should I try a different type of food? I have an assortment of frozen foods and some flakes too.