Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #11 
lelei

He may be biting or getting fins caught on plastic plant..take it out and do pantyhose test..to see if it will catch if it does..yu cannot keep it in thete..salt is ok but leave in and change daily..only add 1 tsp well disolved..1 x per day
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #12 
lilblue

Any chance he could be getting his fins hung up on the intake of his filter? My VT has some ripping similar to what yours looked like when the rips first started. I had the intake stuffed with aquarium sponge to hopefully prevent it but I didnt have enough in there. I added more sponge and have been doing salt baths twice a day. He's looking better so I think the intake was the issue. If he starts looking worse again I'm going to try wrapping a layer of sponge around it.
lilblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #13 
Jake3698

All the plants are silk. I got rid of the plastic rock that i think started all of this.

The intake to my filter is just kinda a waterfall, there is no pull. Water just flows through the top left and then into a back chamber and then down another chamber where it is then pumped out in the top right. I can post a pic if you like, when i tried putting a layer of filter paper around it a lot of debris came off of it, so i pulled it out and did a 100% change.

the tears look really bad but in reality it isn't that bad, his fins have grown a lot since they started tearing, which i think is a good sign.
Jake3698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

It good that you stopped melafix. Can you post picture so we can see the difference from the one's that you post on 8/01?
If he had tears from plastic plants and has clear see through ends it sign of regrowth. I don't want to confuse with fin melting. If he is eating and there no behavior changing i would think he is fine and it just fins regrowth. Picture will help.

If his fins grow back and it just from tearing you don't even need aquarium salt. Just keep doing water changes 2 times a week. You can do 1-50% and 1-100% a week. When you do 100% take time to acclimate him. Just have him in his changing cup and add new water in his cup about 15% wait for about 10 min then add more new water do it for a few times until his changing cup is full. This way you let him acclimate to new temp/chemicals.
Stress coat if you have it is good to add.
I would take filter out and see if water movement can also a problem. With water changes that you do filter is not necessary. I do 100% water changes for my 2.5 gall every 5 days and i never had filters for any of my tanks since like 5 year ago.

Also the way you do aquarium salt is not correct. You need 1tsp/gall and you can use up to 3tsp/gall depending on the problem. So if you treating with aq salt. You pre mix it for the right dosage, make it dissolve and you need to do daily 100% water changes.

So picture would help. Because if it regrowth you really don't need to stress him with aq salt and daily water changes.
Is there any behavior changes?

EDIT: Always leave space between the top of his tank and water level since betta can jump out. I read a lot of post like that. Also when you have him in his changing cup make sure you cover the cup (lid with holes for the air).

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

I was searching the forum and found post someone put similar then yours. And someone there wrote :

Its not uncommon for the new growth to be clear or white or even a different color all together....depending on the amount of damage and a few other factors....the new growth may or may not color up...often with really bad damage the fins never return to their full glory....

But again it only if you think it regrowth after the damage. I don't want to confuse it with something else. If you think his fins getting better and grow back with clear ends then it what it is. It should not get shorter or looks like it has more tears....
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

Sorry somehow missed the point that the last picture made today. His fins look more split then on first picture from 08/01
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #17 
Jake3698

The first pic is him in his tank, water level is close to an inch from the top and there is a lid. Filter is little pressure and aimed down the back wall, there is virtually no current.

The second pictures is one of him facing right, this was taken yesterday.
The third picture is one of him facing left, it was taken today. It looks like the fins did get a little better since then or it could just be the angle. I am not too sure.

The fourth picture is a close-up of his caudal and dorsal fins.

The last picture is the 1gal bowl i do the AQ salt treatment in, i put in 1tsp of salt then add the water conditioner and then fill with water, i let dissolve and heat up to room temp. I check it with a thermometer then scoop him out with a cup, drain some of the cup water and add some of the AQ water. Let him sit, then fully put him in the AQ bowl.

Today i got some of the API Stress Coat +, i did a 100 change and then added the previously mentioned product, it helps with rebuilding stress coat and supposedly damage to fins, it also does the water conditioning.
He seems very happy in his tank and his behavior has not changed at all, he still likes hiding under plants and whenever anyone walks by he still spazzes out, swimming all over the tank trying to be noticed. Once you look at him he makes eye contact and then usually pushes a bubble out his mouth and goes to hide under his leaf or sits on one.
He still eats whatever i give him, it varies from 2-4 pellets a day, usually 2 or 3, but sometimes 4.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

what confusing me that when i look at the picture that you posted on 8/01 his fins completelly attached and now they all detached.

Also you wrote that he is hiding under his plant or sits on it. What do you mean is he does it all day long. Because if he hide or sit on it all day long i don't think it normal behavior. Usually betta is pretty active most of the day. Rest time to time but swimming around a lot. Or he was like that from beginning?

EDIT: i was talking about first 3 pictures from 8/01 his fins are completely different from now

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-17-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

If i wold not see those pictures from 8/1 where with attached ends i would say that he looks perfectly fine. It just i don't understand that big difference from those pictures and now. I am just afraid it can be fin melting..i saw post about that. And i don't know anything about it. I tried to find a post but can't. Not sure how progressive it is. I would think if he would has it he probably would be a lot of worse already and lethargic. I hope he just has transparent fins regrowth.

Also if you give him 4 pellet spleat them (2 in the morning and 2 at night)
And i read there is high protein food like frozen blood worms will help immune system ...i never feed with that but a lot of people on the forum recommending it. Just be careful don't overfeed if you decide to get it. Also i feed them with cooked shrimp. Little pieces (pellets size). They love it. Disadvantage is that it sink to the bottom very fast if he miss it

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-17-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #20 
Jake3698

He is usually pretty active, when i look at him from the other room he is swimming around always checking stuff out. He becomes really active if someone walks up to him, then he relaxes it a bit and chills for a few minutes. His behavior has not changed much since the first few days i have had him.
His fins started progressing very slowly and now they are like this! I would really like to know if there is anything more i can do for him, aside from the salt baths and the API Stress Coat +...
If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. I will keep this updated with pics and messages on how he is doing.

EDIT: I am not sure how i forgot this, but when i vacuum the gravel of his tank this white film comes up in small pieces, it almost looks like skin. If you have ever seen a snake shed its skin, and the resulting whitish/clear skin coat, thats what it looks like. Just floating in the water.

Last edited by Jake3698; 08-17-2012 at 11:57 PM.