Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #1 
jeremywadejunior

Question New tank = new cycle?

Hello,

I recently purchased a 5 gallon tank (the one I'm currently using is 10) for my betta fish to come to college with me (5 gallons in the tank restriction in the dorm). I will probably start getting him used to it next week. The new tank has a built in filter, so I'll be starting with a new filter too. I was wondering, however, will I still need to restart the cycle in the 5 gal the same as I would if it were a *brand new environment* since I'm going to be putting in the gravel and plants that have been active w/ BB? Like is there a way to advance the cycle in the new tank using material from the old tank/filter? Thank you for your knowledge! :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #2 
ngrubich

check out my first post (#9): http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107302

Since you'd be moving most of the equipment from the older tank, there shouldn't be much of a down-time before you can introduce the betta. What you can also do (if the tank allows for it) is put the older filter in/on the new tank to seed the new filter faster.

One more thing: move a portion of the water from the old tank (~3-4 gallons) into the new one to help it along as well.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
check out my first post (#9): http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107302

Since you'd be moving most of the equipment from the older tank, there shouldn't be much of a down-time before you can introduce the betta. What you can also do (if the tank allows for it) is put the older filter in/on the new tank to seed the new filter faster.

One more thing: move a portion of the water from the old tank (~3-4 gallons) into the new one to help it along as well.
Thanks so much for the tips! To make sure I'm doing this right...

1. Put about half of the old water in the new tank, along with old gravel and plants/decor, then fill the rest with fresh water?
2. Put the old filter in the tank running along with the new filter running?

Then how long should I wait before I add my betta?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 
ngrubich

Since you are essentially moving a tank to a smaller one, you shouldn't have any issues with adding the betta right away. However, I like to play it safe with my livestock, if I were you, I would let the tank go for a few days before moving the betta over. This shouldn't be an issue if you have an airstone or something for the bigger tank to keep the water moving around a little.
If you don't have the extra equipment, you can start by moving the gravel and water over and letting the filter in the new tank run for a few days, then move the betta and old filter over (I'd wait to move the betta until next week like you had planned if you go this route).
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Since you are essentially moving a tank to a smaller one, you shouldn't have any issues with adding the betta right away. However, I like to play it safe with my livestock, if I were you, I would let the tank go for a few days before moving the betta over. This shouldn't be an issue if you have an airstone or something for the bigger tank to keep the water moving around a little.
If you don't have the extra equipment, you can start by moving the gravel and water over and letting the filter in the new tank run for a few days, then move the betta and old filter over (I'd wait to move the betta until next week like you had planned if you go this route).
Awesome; thanks a bunch!! I don't have an airstone so I'll wait til next week to move my fish and the old filter into the new tank, but I'll put the gravel/water into the new tank and let the filter run in there. After I add the fish and old filter, how long should I let the old filter run in the new tank before removing it?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #6 
ngrubich

Well, the longer you can keep both in there, the better. At the very least, I would say 3-5 days. What you could also do is this:
the day/night before moving the betta, take out the cartridge of the old filter (I'm assuming it's a cartidge-type) and dip it into the new tank and swish it around to knock off some bacteria into the water column so they can get picked up by the new filter. Put the cartridge back into the old filter and then move the whole unit over the next day (doing this in less than 24 hours before moving the betta shouldn't result in any issues in the old tank) along with the betta.

One other thing I forgot to mention with moving the gravel and water. Take the betta out of the tank and keep him in a cup/small dish until you finish moving the stuff over so you don't stress the betta out. Move the gravel FIRST, then the water. This allows you to catch and move any bacteria/poop that gets thrown into the water column when you move the gravel before it settles back down at the bottom of the tank.
If you move the water first, then you'd basically be putting the betta back into a dirty tank with stuff floating everywhere (I don't think he'd be happy haha) and there wouldn't be as much bacteria/food for the bacteria in the new tank.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Well, the longer you can keep both in there, the better. At the very least, I would say 3-5 days. What you could also do is this:
the day/night before moving the betta, take out the cartridge of the old filter (I'm assuming it's a cartidge-type) and dip it into the new tank and swish it around to knock off some bacteria into the water column so they can get picked up by the new filter. Put the cartridge back into the old filter and then move the whole unit over the next day (doing this in less than 24 hours before moving the betta shouldn't result in any issues in the old tank) along with the betta.

One other thing I forgot to mention with moving the gravel and water. Take the betta out of the tank and keep him in a cup/small dish until you finish moving the stuff over so you don't stress the betta out. Move the gravel FIRST, then the water. This allows you to catch and move any bacteria/poop that gets thrown into the water column when you move the gravel before it settles back down at the bottom of the tank.
If you move the water first, then you'd basically be putting the betta back into a dirty tank with stuff floating everywhere (I don't think he'd be happy haha) and there wouldn't be as much bacteria/food for the bacteria in the new tank.
Awesome! Thanks a bunch for your help! :)