So I had a mishap with my first apple snail that I purchased a few days ago and bought a new one to replace him today. I am not sure what went wrong but I think it because my friend may have hurt the first one. When I picked it up from the store it was active and crawling and doing snail stuff. I showed it to a friend when it was still in its bag from PetSmart, crawling up the side, and my friend thought it would be funny to flick the poor little guy hard so it would fall off. Well, my apple snail fell and immediately retracted into its shell. It did not come out for the next hour and when I got home I acclimated him and place him in a medical tank normally used for my betta. I wanted to isolate him before adding him to my main aquarium.
My snail did not come out for a while and when he did it was brief and not to crawl around. It stopped pooping and doing snaily things. I did not see it come out for the next two days but I did notice it had moved from one side of the tank to the other. It also did not eat. It began secreting a white, clear, slime trail that came out of its front and it died this morning.
I bought a new snail that was healthy and active today. It acclimated fine, crawled around its new tank, and explored a few times. For about the past few hours, though, it has not come out of its shell and I saw a white, clear, slime sticking out from its front. Now I am paranoid that it is going to die too! I love my snail and do not want it to die like the other. I am still unsure why the other died. Could my first have died because my friend flicked it hard on his soft underside? Could it have been sick? I don't want to repeat last time and want to make sure this is normal snail behavior.
I am floating a piece of cucumber right now. It has not moved yet and I want to see how long it will take until it will take interest in it.