Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 
ellafishcrazy

Question 10 gallon tank questions

Recently I got a 10 gallon tank from a friend for free, because they knew I had 3 betta and they were not using it any more. So I said to myself, hey it's 10 gallons and FREE. Right now I have my largest male in a 2.5 gallon tank, a female in a 1.5 gallon tank, and a small male in a 1 gallon. None are heated or filtered. (Before I get some replies about the heaters, yes, once it gets colder in my burning hot state I will be purchasing heaters. Somehow...) I have a low budget- nothing over 20 bucks- I'm a teenager who can't drive, and doesn't get an allowance, that is my sad life. (How I got 3 betta with no money is a long story involving a friend who got "bored" of their fishes. ) How can I set up this 10 gallon on a low budget? Should I fill it halfway and make it a five gallon for one? I don't think I'm getting filters for a couple of years. Until this kid gets a job.
ellafishcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

as u mentioned about the heater.i live in phoenix arizona.its hot here.even then i use a heater.bettas love temps that are tropical.bet for betta is at 78 degrees.which is what i keep my 10 gallon and 2 gallon and will set my 20 gallon up shortly.i left my job due to some problems.so i understand the low budget..

u can make very cheap filters.i used a water bottle that is 16.9 ounce,about 5 bendy straws(or straws from like mcdonalds works just as well) and an air pump.i can give more info on how to make them if needed.super cheap.maybe ur friends have a couple spare air pumps they can give or lend.

those filters work just as good if not better than filters u buy in the store.they have surface area for beneficial bacteria.which alo grows in gravel,decorations,on the walls of the glass,etc...for cycling..

heaters cost about 15 bucks at walmart that are perfect for those size tanks.u can also check out craigslist.some may give it away for free,others may charge a few bucks.pretty much the change u find in ur couch.as for getting there.a local bu would work.or just a friend if needed.(i sold my car becaue it broke,so im in that situation as well)

i would have atleast 1 hiding places and a few fake or silk plants.do NOT put the bettas together.female can go together in groups of 5 or more,odd numbers preferred.im sure u know some of what im saying.but just want to make sure :)

u can go to google or search engine of choice and look up cheap inexpensive tank setups.or even check out youtube.i make some of my own decor.just using like pop sicle sticks and hotglue.

u can fill it all the way.the only thing is no matter how much water u put in it.u will have to do water change.the more water the longer u can wait between water change,epecially if its just going to be 1 betta.if cycled,u can wait even longer.i have 3 bettas,2 females and a male.1 in a 2 gallon.the male ill put in my 10 gallon after its cycle with tank mates i have in there for a fish in cycle.and my other female in my 20 gallon once i set it up.

feel free to message me about anything.i can take pix and show u my filter i made and explain more about it :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
toad

Why only fill it halfway?

I have my biggest male in a 10 gallon; he loves it. He's extremely active, and he's the only fish in tank. He's got some nice plants for company :D

With more water, the parameters/temp tend to be more stable. Make sure you get a thermometer, so you know how warm the water is. I currently only have 1 of my 4 tanks heated, because it's in a cold room. The other 3 stay at 78-80 degrees without heaters.

I say fill up the whole thing and let one of your guys have it to themselves. Or - you could put a divider in the middle, and put one boy on each side, and move your girl to the 2.5.

As for what to put IN the tank - pool filter sand is chemically inert and used by a lot of fishkeepers as substrate. It's about $12/50lbs, compared to the gravel or sand you could buy at Petco for $20/20lbs.

And, there are lots of awesome deals on aquabid/ebay/etc. for plants, live and silk.

ETA: I think filters are unnecessary. I don't use them in 3 of my 4 tanks. The 4th tank is filtered simply because it's intended to be a community tank, and I need to make up for the bioload.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #4 
gn3ranger

hey for your filter I'd suggest a sponge one! very cheap and effective I hear, I'm getting one for my 10 gallon betta tank soon and it was very cheap like this one for example down bellow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Bio...item2563915a3f

Note you need a air pump for this

Last edited by gn3ranger; 08-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #5 
ellafishcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
as u mentioned about the heater.i live in phoenix arizona.its hot here.even then i use a heater.bettas love temps that are tropical.bet for betta is at 78 degrees.which is what i keep my 10 gallon and 2 gallon and will set my 20 gallon up shortly.i left my job due to some problems.so i understand the low budget..

u can make very cheap filters.i used a water bottle that is 16.9 ounce,about 5 bendy straws(or straws from like mcdonalds works just as well) and an air pump.i can give more info on how to make them if needed.super cheap.maybe ur friends have a couple spare air pumps they can give or lend.

those filters work just as good if not better than filters u buy in the store.they have surface area for beneficial bacteria.which alo grows in gravel,decorations,on the walls of the glass,etc...for cycling..

heaters cost about 15 bucks at walmart that are perfect for those size tanks.u can also check out craigslist.some may give it away for free,others may charge a few bucks.pretty much the change u find in ur couch.as for getting there.a local bu would work.or just a friend if needed.(i sold my car becaue it broke,so im in that situation as well)

i would have atleast 1 hiding places and a few fake or silk plants.do NOT put the bettas together.female can go together in groups of 5 or more,odd numbers preferred.im sure u know some of what im saying.but just want to make sure :)

u can go to google or search engine of choice and look up cheap inexpensive tank setups.or even check out youtube.i make some of my own decor.just using like pop sicle sticks and hotglue.

u can fill it all the way.the only thing is no matter how much water u put in it.u will have to do water change.the more water the longer u can wait between water change,epecially if its just going to be 1 betta.if cycled,u can wait even longer.i have 3 bettas,2 females and a male.1 in a 2 gallon.the male ill put in my 10 gallon after its cycle with tank mates i have in there for a fish in cycle.and my other female in my 20 gallon once i set it up.

feel free to message me about anything.i can take pix and show u my filter i made and explain more about it :)
Okay, I've heard a lot about "cycling" and I'm still not sure what it is. Could you explain that more? And I'd love to hear more about homemade filters, but I feel heaters go before them. Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 
ellafishcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Why only fill it halfway?

I have my biggest male in a 10 gallon; he loves it. He's extremely active, and he's the only fish in tank. He's got some nice plants for company :D

With more water, the parameters/temp tend to be more stable. Make sure you get a thermometer, so you know how warm the water is. I currently only have 1 of my 4 tanks heated, because it's in a cold room. The other 3 stay at 78-80 degrees without heaters.

I say fill up the whole thing and let one of your guys have it to themselves. Or - you could put a divider in the middle, and put one boy on each side, and move your girl to the 2.5.

As for what to put IN the tank - pool filter sand is chemically inert and used by a lot of fishkeepers as substrate. It's about $12/50lbs, compared to the gravel or sand you could buy at Petco for $20/20lbs.

And, there are lots of awesome deals on aquabid/ebay/etc. for plants, live and silk.

ETA: I think filters are unnecessary. I don't use them in 3 of my 4 tanks. The 4th tank is filtered simply because it's intended to be a community tank, and I need to make up for the bioload.
Yeah, I think I'd like to divide the 10 gallon. But I thought I would need a filter because I thought the amonia (think I spelled that wrong) would build up fast with two fish. So I would have to clean a 10 gallon (100% change) once a week, maybe? And a divider, I heard you can make those.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #7 
ellafishcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3ranger View Post
hey for your filter I'd suggest a sponge one! very cheap and effective I hear, I'm getting one for my 10 gallon betta tank soon and it was very cheap like this one for example down bellow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Bio...item2563915a3f

Note you need a air pump for this
An air pump? I apologize, I don't know much about filters or heaters, but I'm pretty sure I'm taking good care of my betta, the best I can do for now. Thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

here is a sticky post about cycling.its what i used to start my fish-in cycle.though not recommended.i was low on budget and used fish instead,to which ill keep in with my male betta once cycling is done..but here is the link on different types of cycles.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

here is a couple videos showing a moving bed filter using a water bottle,straws,airline and air pump for aquariums.i didnt find a video explaining how to make it.i watched 1 before but forgot how i fount it.i pretty much jut watched other vids and made them from looking.ill try to take some vids and pix of mine and upload them here.they work great.

but rather u buy an expensive 1 from a pet store or make 1 at home.they do the exact samething.i can even find a video i watched on how to make HOB(hang on back) filter.does the samething if not more than ones u buy from a pet store.end me a message as a reminder or keep posting here or even on my wall.ill take pictures and maybe a vid of the 1 i made.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon tank