Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

GHOST SHRIMP questions?

Well my tank finally finished cycling, and I'm going to go get some ghost shrimp tomorrow! Im very excited! I plan on only getting 3 just to see if my betta eats them or not. (it's a 10 gal tank) & I have a few questions...

1. How long should they be quarantined? Will 3 be okay temporarily in a 2.5 gal unfiltered tank? (I worry about oxygen)
2. What are the best shrimp pellets? How often should they be fed?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 
MSG

Don't know if they need to be QT, but don't waste your money on food for the shrimps. Just give them the crappy tetra flakes the betta won't eat.

Shrimp scavenge for food all day long. As long as they get a fish flake or two everyday, they'll live.

Oh yeah, from what I heard, choose the LARGER shrimp. Don't go for the smaller ones. Larger ones have a better chance of not dying on you during the first 2 weeks.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 
reggie oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Don't know if they need to be QT, but don't waste your money on food for the shrimps. Just give them the crappy tetra flakes the betta won't eat.

Shrimp scavenge for food all day long. As long as they get a fish flake or two everyday, they'll live.

Oh yeah, from what I heard, choose the LARGER shrimp. Don't go for the smaller ones. Larger ones have a better chance of not dying on you during the first 2 weeks.
I agree. Most literature I've read say that ghost shrimp and bettas get along well.
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Thank you guys! i was told they need QT'd because someone got some that developed ick.. and ive been told to make sure they dont have worms, because they apparently get parasitic worms in their heads O_o
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote