Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #11 
KukaaKatchou

I went to the local pet store. They have a bunch of aquatic plants, but no one knew the names (!!!). So I got a moss ball and an anubias that looked nice and healthy. I'll have to look at pictures to know what kind I got. I am also going to switch out my sandstone rock for a piece of aquarium wood. I'm soaking it right now. The anubias - do I bury the ends in the gravel, let it float, or should I plan to tie it to my wood? Do I need to soak for wood for a long time? I know it will give off tannins.

Edit: I think I bought the Nana Anubias.

Last edited by KukaaKatchou; 08-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #12 
MSG

When I do start buying plants I'll make sure I research the type of plant FIRST before I buy.

This video should come in handy. I'll be doing this in the next 48 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xJT-HH2HMI

Make sure you FF to the 3 minutes section of the video. That's what I hoping for when I'm done.

The only difference is I'm going to attach mine to little chunks of wine colored shaped stones instead.

I don't like the clay pot shards.

Here's another cool link for anubias...
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Anubias.htm
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #13 
Pilot00

About java ferns. If mine survives (which i think it did) the error and mistreatment i gave it fear not for it.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #14 
SpookyTooth

It'd be better if you attached your anubias to your piece of driftwood, if their roots are buried they can end up rotting and dying. I think some people leave theirs floating which is fine as well.

As for soaking driftwood I think it may be quicker to boil it (if it'll fit in a pot of water), soaking can take a couple of days to a week if I recall correctly.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #15 
KukaaKatchou

It's been sterilized already .... do I still need to wait that long?? It's Geosystem Natural Aquascape wood. The label says " This is a natural product that has been cleaned to remove any extraneous material and to ensure its safety in aquariums. Each individual piece of ... wood, when placed in an aquarium, will release a certain amount of tannin which may slightly dicolor the water. This will not harm your aquarium inhabitants and in most cases is desirable as it is present in most tropical water."

And I looked for a java fern - they didn't have any. I have another fish store I can check that may even know what their damn plants are.

Last edited by KukaaKatchou; 08-02-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #16 
SpookyTooth

The soaking of the wood is to release any tannins in it, if you don't mind that happening in your tank then by all means feel free to add your driftwood sooner rather than later :) The tannins will offer a more natural environment for the betta but it will also lower the pH of the tank, not so good if you have snails. It's a gradual change but fluctuations aren't good either so if you want to keep your pH at a certain, constant level I'd suggest soaking the driftwood in a bucket and make sure to empty the water every day until it is no longer tea coloured.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #17 
KukaaKatchou

@MSG - thats for that great link for the Anubias! I didn't know you could use rubber bands to attach the plant ... I have tons of those in a bag! I'm soaking the driftwood in conditioned water atm so tomorrow I'll haul out the plant and see where I can attach the darn thing!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #18 
MSG

I didn't even WATCH the video yet. I sort of skimmed the video.

Thanks for mentioning the rubber bands. I didn't know either.

My experience using rubber bands is they will disintegrate after a while. That's why I use ugly sewing string, baker's twine or butcher's twine.

Oh yeah, I have java fern not anubias. I killed most of mine. I do have 1 tiny one left, the size of a key lime or grape tomato.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #19 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
if you want easy hard to kill idiot proof plants, the top ones would be anubis, anachris, java fern, and java moss. Moss balls are pretty easy as well, just more expensive.

They are all low light plants too, which is great if you don't have a particularly good lighting set up. With the anubis and java fern you want to anchor it to decor, like driftwood or a rock. Never bury the rhizome of either plant.
I tried anacharis and quarantined it for a week. It did amazing it quarantine in a bucket with practically no light.

I set it up with Ratchet in his 2.5 gallon tank, room light, and Seachem Flourish. It died in less than a month. Ratchet was less than helpful with helping it grow, but that same batch is still barely holding on to life in a molly tank (Lots of poop for nutrients though) with an overhead light and filter at room temp. It did better with cold temps rather than warmer temps like I read.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #20 
KukaaKatchou

Ok here's the start ... I put in the wood, used an elastic to attach the anubias to the wood. It's my understanding that eventually it will root itself in there and the elastic wont be needed. And I have my first moss ball in there as well. On the hunt for a Java Fern. I also found a picture of my tank when I first had it planted. It looked so good! Now we're a work in progress.
Attached Images