Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 
SteveS

New Betta, type? and few questions

I recently purchased this guy from a local pet center, and I'm curious as to what kind it might be? All I know is that it is a male dumbo.

Also, will he get any bigger? :D :D i hope so

Attached Images

SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 
VictorP

He is a dumbo halfmoon plakat (HMPK)
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

Yup he's a cutie. I like the dumbo / big-ear bettas. He will grow. Even veil tail bettas get to be about the size and thickness of an adult thumb at full adult growth. Eh, I just about typed out a history on the different types but you can research that on your own so I don't type a novel LOL! It is quite interesting to learn about though, if you wish to. You can find out quite a lot by googling different search terms. :)

I can't tell if he is a king or not, but you might want to think about getting him a bigger tank eventually. (I'm not harping on you, just advising.) 2.5 gallons is pretty much the minimum recommended size tank, but a 5 gallon is ideal for bettas. I think a 10 gallon is minimum for kings but don't quote me on that I haven't researched them much because I don't have any.

1 gallon works but you will be doing crazy water changes and it's really quite small for them to swim around in as they get bigger. I do however love how you decorated your tank. :) Just wanted you to know he might be happier eventually in a bigger home.

Just wondering if you named him yet?
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 
SteveS

Thanks VictorP!

I'm excited to see how big his ears get, haha. :) will thier fins get much bigger as well after this stage? some betta's look amazing such as the one you have. There was one just like it at my local store that I wanted to badly but I was heavily persuaded by the girlfriend to get a purple/red one! >.<

We actually just got back from Wal Mart and a local pet store to see if we could find a bigger tank after figuring that out on here earlier in the day and didn't find one we liked between 2 and 10 gallons. So were going to check online and travel to a larger store for more options, so it is coming! Hopefully one with an under gravel filter and mini heater, as we keep our house around 75. I'm almost ready to already change some of the water and its only day 2, pre treated water and got it to temp yesterday.

What is the main difference between king and normal?

Axis is his name! lol :)

Here is his decoration!

EDIT: Walmart has a tank that's not even half a gallon! how cruel
Attached Images

SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote