Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
Pixielator

Number of Bettas

I'm a long time tarantula (and other invert) fanatic and new betta fanatic. I've been on arachnid forums for a couple of years and just made my account on this forum (my first fish forum) about a week ago if that. I thought it would be interesting to talk about one of the differences I've noticed in the two hobbys.

When it comes to tarantula keepers everyone knows about "the potato chip effect", once you get one tarantula you keep getting more and more and more. Most people in the hobby have 10 to 100 different tarantulas or more. And normally the ones with 1 to 20 are just starting out.

So far from being on this forum it seems that most betta keepers (except for breeders) have only have a few bettas, I haven't seen anyone other than breeders with more than 10 bettas.

Why do you think this is? Would it be seen as unusual for a betta lover who isn't a breeder to have a collection of 40 bettas? I'd love to read everyone's thoughts on this.

Last edited by Pixielator; 08-01-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #2 
lvandert

oh there are a few people who have more than 10 easily. Sororities are at least 5 and I know people who have multiples.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
registereduser

I have 2 boys and 3 girls.....soon to be NINE girls!

Plus I want to start rescuing so I will have a revolving door of bettas. I foster kittens, too, so I have a revolving door for them, why not fish? I hope there will be lots of adopters here on the board.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

I'm beginning to realize that having Bettas is a bit like having Orchids. Once you get one Orchid, you are addicted and have to get more. I don't have as many as a lot of other Orchid collectors have, but once I had one, I had to get more, and then types of other species, etc. It does seem like Betta keeping is similar in its addictiveness.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #5 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I have 2 boys and 3 girls.....soon to be NINE girls!

Plus I want to start rescuing so I will have a revolving door of bettas. I foster kittens, too, so I have a revolving door for them, why not fish? I hope there will be lots of adopters here on the board.

Oh wow, thats a cool idea. Where would you be rescuing these bettas from? Btw, the betta in your avatar is absolutely beautiful, where did you get it?

EDIT - And congrats on your new girls.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

im stopping at one lol. :P one room one tank one betta :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #7 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
im stopping at one lol. :P one room one tank one betta :)

You have great will power. Haha.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
You have great will power. Haha.
i used to have two, I guess that number didnt work out too well for me :( and I think it's more fun having one tank to obsess over and rearrange :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
Oh wow, thats a cool idea. Where would you be rescuing these bettas from? Btw, the betta in your avatar is absolutely beautiful, where did you get it?

EDIT - And congrats on your new girls.
I'll just be looking in Walmart and Petsmarts and petcos and trying to find bettas in trouble. My avatar is Irving and he's from Petco. He was opaque and now he has marbled fins, lots of red showed up. Thanks for thinking he is beautiful, I think so too, he's a delta and his fins are so graceful he reminds me of a bride.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Um I have over 40 and I wouldn't classify myself as a breeder although my wild species spawn every so often and give me some fry.

People think it is odd I have lots of imported fish and mainly keep them as pets, but that's because I want something nice to look at and am willing to pay extra for that.

It's so easy to get so engrossed in this hobby as you see a betta you like and before you know it it's yours. I had to cut way back as I was buying bettas that were nice but not really what I enjoyed having.

It is definitely not unusual for a betta owner to have a lot of fish that are pets rather than breeding stock. You just have to poke around this forum a bit to see that haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote