Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #11 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Um I have over 40 and I wouldn't classify myself as a breeder although my wild species spawn every so often and give me some fry.

People think it is odd I have lots of imported fish and mainly keep them as pets, but that's because I want something nice to look at and am willing to pay extra for that.

It's so easy to get so engrossed in this hobby as you see a betta you like and before you know it it's yours. I had to cut way back as I was buying bettas that were nice but not really what I enjoyed having.

It is definitely not unusual for a betta owner to have a lot of fish that are pets rather than breeding stock. You just have to poke around this forum a bit to see that haha.
Oh, I guess I just have to pay more attention. Haha.
Thats what I wanted to do, have a bunch of beautiful bettas as pets. But then I'd go broke. So instead I plan on breeding a little later. That way I can still have lots of pretty bettas, but I'll also be able to make some of my money back, and depending on how I do, maybe make some extra. :) The only thing I can't really get over is the culling thing. I'm not judging those who do it, but I just know that I can't. I'll have to find places for all those fish to go. Thats the only part I haven't figured out yet.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #12 
staffylover

I only wanted one and now have 3, soon to be 4. All mine have individual tanks so 4 is definately my maximum.
I do however have another smallish tank with a few neons in and nothing more but I wont be adding a Betta to this tank
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #13 
toad

For the first 3 months, I had only 1 betta. Now, I'm up to 5 - 3 boys, and 2 girls.

I'm hoping to find more places to put tanks when I rearrange my house :D
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #14 
KevinPham123

IMO - the things stopping most people from keeping more than 1 or 2 betta fish is because of the lack of space or/and is the maintenance of the tanks, also some individuals may not have the time to keep with the needed schedule I guess. Some people just don't mind AT ALL lol.

Last edited by KevinPham123; 08-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #15 
teeneythebetta

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sakura has 21! Wouldn't that be awesome? I'd love that many! :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 
Pilot00

I have one male in my 36g. However i will move to Sweden in a month or so. If things turn out good for me up there i will setup another 30+ tank and go for a sorority probably.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #17 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
IMO - the things stopping most people from keeping more than 1 or 2 betta fish is because of the lack of space or/and is the maintenance of the tanks, also some individuals may not have the time to keep with the needed schedule I guess. Some people just don't mind AT ALL lol.
Thats a good point. And tarantulas are low maintenance pets, so that could definitely be a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sakura has 21! Wouldn't that be awesome? I'd love that many! :D
Yeah, I noticed after I started this thread that Sakura has 19. Woops, haha.

While its been pointed out that there are some people with more bettas than I thought, there is still noticable difference in numbers between the hobbys. I just thought that was interesting.

Now I have a question for those of you who have stated that you have 10 bettas or less or that your max number is 10 or less. Are you/will you be content with this number? Or are you just trying to keep yourself from taking on too much responsibility/work at once? If its the latter, will you feel urged to buy more bettas anyway?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #18 
lvandert

i'm quite content with my fishies but I don't have a max lol. I don't have the urge to buy more but if I see one that just calls my name I have a few spare tanks around.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #19 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
Now I have a question for those of you who have stated that you have 10 bettas or less or that your max number is 10 or less. Are you/will you be content with this number? Or are you just trying to keep yourself from taking on too much responsibility/work at once? If its the latter, will you feel urged to buy more bettas anyway?
I want definitely more. But i dont have the space and funds right now.
If things go well in perhaps three months ill get a sorority and at least two males (in different large tanks OFC).
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #20 
xShainax

I have close to 15. 7 in a sorority and 6 males
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote